'dedication, persistence, and involvement' - Personal Statement

loflo 2 / 2  
A one page, typed statement indicating why you would like to be an HTA and what you will bring to the HTA position.

When I think back to my college admissions, one thing sticks out - my acceptance to the UGA Honors Program. My mom opened my package and called to let me know I had been automatically admitted to UGA Honors. I almost threw away the form because I didn't want to come to UGA, but my mother forced me to fill it out and accept the offer. Now, I cannot imagine being anywhere else. Through Honors, I have been presented with so many opportunities I would not have received elsewhere, and I would like to help new students recognize and take advantage of everything Honors and the University have to offer. I recently volunteered for one of UGA's "Out and About" programs in which I had to show an uncommitted student around campus and take her to my classes. I loved being able to give her little inside tips and showing her what life is really like at the UGA; I even convinced her to apply to the Honors Program. I would love to have a similar role as a teaching assistant.

If selected, I will bring dedication, persistence, and involvement to the Honors teaching assistant position. When I become a part of something I love, I go all in. When passionate about a project, I will do anything it takes to make sure it happens. As president of the National Honor Society at my high school, I organized the annual induction ceremony and orchestrated a school-wide "Teens for Jeans" blue jean drive, which collected gently used blue jeans for underprivileged teens. I have applied for many things at UGA I was sure I would get, but ended up not. Though rejection is disappointing, I haven't let it prevent me from seizing other opportunities. Instead, I have used that rejection as a driving force to get even more involved. I see it as an opportunity to join another club I wouldn't have otherwise had time for. For example, this year I applied to be a Match Mate, the Men's Tennis promotions group, and I thought I was a shoo-in. Turns out I was wrong, but I still go to most of the matches and cheer on the team anyway and plan to reapply next year. I will apply the same persistence and dedication to teaching the class and getting the students excited about being at UGA. I tried to get involved at UGA immediately. During the first month, I attended University Union's events, participated in the Dawg Day of Service, and joined the Roosevelt Institute at UGA. Roosevelt is one of the many opportunities I have received through Honors, and it has expanded my horizons. I had no interest in politics or public policy before, but through Roosevelt, I have gained a better understanding of and respect for researchers and decision-makers and will soon be presenting at the CURO symposium. Though my free time has become limited as the semester went on, I still try to find something non-academic to do a few nights a week, whether it be a club meeting, a sporting event, a lecture, or a performance. My favorite things to attend are gymnastics meets, tennis matches and anything held at the performance arts center. Not only would this make me a great resource for PPEs, but also a guide for students to find that perfect organization they can become immersed in immediately.
scoreas21 1 / 3  
Very good paper!
A couple of things, you writing, especially "My mom opened my package and called to let me know I had been automatically admitted to UGA Honors. I almost threw away the form because I didn't want to come to UGA, but my mother forced me to fill it out and accept the offer" seemed as if you were writing the same as you talk. Just remember to write in a more formal and enhanced tone.

I'm not sure if "My favorite things to attend are gymnastics meets, tennis matches and anything held at the performance arts center." has anything to do with HTA and the position you are applying for, but it seemed random to me for you to place this sentence in your paragraph. If it is related, I would suggest to make it flow into your paper. Possibly even start the sentence differently and it would help it flow.

Maybe even just cutting out "my favorite things to attend" and just stating, I attend gym meets ... during my free time.

Home / Undergraduate / 'dedication, persistence, and involvement' - Personal Statement