My deep desire to help others. UBC Personal Profile

Lyipheoryia 1 / 1  

Tell us about who you are

How would your family, friends, and/or members of your community describe you? If possible, please include something about yourself that you are most proud of and why. (maximum 250 words)

I have a deep desire to help others, and I am happiest when my actions bring joy to those around me. After learning the shocking rates of senior depression and increasing numbers of elderly abuse cases, I wanted to give seniors in my community a reason to smile. I am proud to create Cards for Humanity, a project dedicated to giving handmade Christmas Cards to seniors in care homes. Small acts of kindness can make a big change, and I want each senior to experience a truly merry Christmas.

Whether it be establishing a Model UN conference to ensure accessibility for all students or hosting job fairs as part of Charity Brighouse - I take pride in giving opportunities to others. As a Junior Instructor for Geering Up, I gave gifted and physically disabled students an opportunity to to pursue their interests in science, technology, engineering, and math. I ensured that every student felt safe and comfortable, and I worked with other Junior Instructors to create inclusive, engaging activities.

Everyone has the ability to change someone's life, and I realized this as a Reading Buddy at the public library. As a new immigrant from China, my student struggled to make friends. Together, we worked on improving her English and on building her self-esteem. As she left the library after our last tutoring session, I was filled with unspeakable pride knowing that I had given her both the opportunity to in a new country and the confidence to make a friend.

Any and all feedback is welcomed. My answer is currently at 249 words.
Enyo, you missed the total point of the prompt you were asked to respond to. The most important aspect of the response is how other people, such as your family, friends, and / or community members will describe you. What you wrote is a self-description, not a second point of view description of yourself. The whole essay seems to focus its response on the last part, which is a discussion of what you are most proud of about yourself. Rather than this presentation, you should clearly indicate whose description of yourself you will be presenting (family, friends, community members) and then tie that into the thing that you are most proud of. For example, if you are big on the Card for Humanity project or the Model UN project (pick one, the prompt does not allow you present both), then the personal description regarding you must come from members of that community which you function best in. That way, the essay response becomes cohesive in its presentation. You will need to revise the whole essay in order to better fit in the required changes. I would advise you to allot a total of 125 words per prompt requirement so that you can accurately discuss both prompts.

Home / Undergraduate / My deep desire to help others. UBC Personal Profile