'It's 114 degrees outside, flies are everywhere'; How Animals Made Me Human

ginnyann95 1 / -  
UC # 1 Edit 2
Describe the world you come from-for example, your family, community or school-and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

It's 114 degrees outside, flies are everywhere, it smells horrible, and my "new sister" just
handed me a muck rake. "Is she serious?" I thought as I wiped sweat from my brow. My mom passed away when I was nine, and I became, for lack of a better term, spoiled; with a capitol ROTTEN. The four years that followed my mother's death were filled with sadness, coddling, and social awkwardness. I suddenly went from being the adored only child to being "that girl whose mom died". I went through life getting what I wanted, and getting what everyone thought I wanted, which was zero percent reality. Everyone sheltered, pitied, and asked nothing of me. I had no compassion; after all, my mother just died and I felt like I should be the one receiving compassion, not giving it. Everyone was moving on except me and that seemed ok, until my dad met Loretta. In 2008 my dad and now stepmom, Loretta, got married and I was introduced to my new family: Jeremiah, my stepbrother and Becky, my stepsister. My new stepmom had a very dominant personality and it was clear from the beginning she was not on board with the "poor Ginny" routine. In fact, my first summer, she suggested I gain life experience by staying with my new sister and working at a boarding ranch. That brings me back to the heat, smell, and flies. The ranch was the first of many summers filled with work, and life. I will never forget being so awkward and blurting things out at the wrong time, as well as giving an uncompassionate stare in response to the stories I heard from people I barely knew. I had never before heard other people share their struggles and sorrows. I remember taking my breaks and fleeing to the nearest animal to get my "poor me fix". The animals were my escape; but as my love for these animals grew, I was able to tolerate getting to know their owners. That's when I started to change. Who knew that hard work and my love for animals would be what introduced me to my love for humanity? I cherish my summers with my sister, for even though I know they will always be filled with work, I also know they will be filled with learning, compassion, and love. It took the subtle affection of animals for me to find the overpowering compassion for humanity. At the risk of stating the obvious and sounding redundant, I would like to say that my desire for the knowledge and skills required to care for the animals I love so much is nothing new. What is new, however, is how dearly I wish to contribute to society and to stand in solidarity with the humankind I have come to love. The education I wish to attain at this university will give me more than a career. It will allow me to make tangible the bond I already possess between animals and people, and allow me to give back to a world that has already given me so much.
handed me a muck rake. "Is she serious?" I thought as I wiped sweat from my brow.

Very impressive opening : )

My mom passed away when I was nine, and I became, for lack of a better term, spoiled; with a capitol ROTTEN.

I feel you better start a new paragraph with this sentence.

Everyone sheltered, pitied, and asked nothing of me.

"nothing from me'' or "nothing about me" ?

Thatbringstook me back to the heat, smell, and flies.

Interesting : )

Home / Undergraduate / 'It's 114 degrees outside, flies are everywhere'; How Animals Made Me Human