What department? - "the opportunity to solve real-world problems"

rayban11 7 / 24  
Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (100 words)

As much as I am fascinated by Adam's Smith Invisible Hand phenomenon or Frederick Taylor's experiments with shovel efficiency, I don't want to spend four years studying only abstract theory. I also want to apply that knowledge to find solutions and to help people. While I am eager to participate in seminars that discuss various economic anomalies, I crave even more the opportunity to solve real-world problems under the guidance of Professor Esther Duflo. Because of the unique combination of the theoretical with the practical, a dual major in Course 14 and 15 really appeals to me.

Please be as critical/honest/blunt as possible. Thanks!!
displayname 3 / 5  
I believe you used the 100 word limit very well. It shows you have some knowledge of MIT by stating the courses and the professor's name. You also answered both parts of the question (which department and why). No grammar mistake stood out to me. This essay should be fine, though I never applied to MIT. :)
patricia5827 4 / 12  
I don't want to spend four years studying <--- I do not college essays dont like it when you use contractions.

Home / Undergraduate / What department? - "the opportunity to solve real-world problems"