Depression; Questbridge/ significant experience, achievement, risk,ethical dilemma

p93kelly 2 / 3  
Please offer any advice

Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

The one thing I can attribute my success to is depression. Depression has been a source of much emotional turmoil, yet at the same time it compels me to push myself harder. Even though depression can render me incapacitated at times, I still continue to boast that it's an asset. I would even say that depression is my virtue. When I initially experienced depression it was a terrible burden, however, my first experience with depression changed my life profoundly.

The summer of eighth grade was a crucial period in my life - it was the first time I experienced depression. Until then I found ways to cope with isolation, living in a motel, and having to deal with my family. But when school ended I no longer had anything to divert my attention. I felt forced to stay in a chaotic environment. I had no friends, no support, and no extracurricular activities - I was lost. Over time the burden of living in a dysfunctional family took its toll on me. I became embittered towards my mom for everything she enabled. Gradually depression began to take form and change me.

As the onset of depression continued, I began to experience a miasma of despair and embitterment. I grew to fervently hate my family, however, at the same time I was indifferent to my surroundings. Whenever my family and their friends began to party, I would just lie in my bed and sulk in my misery. While lying on my bed I began to contemplate my living conditions, and whether or not I should continue on or not. What I wanted desperately was something to look forward to in life. Even while depressed I decided to work toward achieving something with my life.

At first it was a difficult task, but with time it became easier. When I decided to thrust myself into the real world it was overwhelming. I knew then that I would have to develop social skills and self-discipline. Gradually I began to develop both skills, and even though I lack in social skills I still believe that my self-discipline compensates. Now self-discipline permeates every aspect of my life - I would much rather work than have fun. And my drastic change has everything to do with depression. I wouldn't change a thing that I've gone through, and despite the toll that depression takes I will continue to persevere.
paul2752 2 / 5  
Your essay is mostly negative with somewhat vague resolution that is worded in boring way. Elaborate your resolution part without using too much sentences that start with 'I' because such sentences can end up leaving the readers wonder 'how?'

. BTW, I am sorry that you didn't have much support from your family
The one thing I can attribute my success to is depression

The one thing I can attribute to my success is the depression condition I suffered with.

I too feel that paul has a point. The word depression has very negative feeling and it adds a negative note to your response though you try to show it through a positive note. Why not replace the same with a word like "hardships" or "challenges" ?

Home / Undergraduate / Depression; Questbridge/ significant experience, achievement, risk,ethical dilemma