Describe your favorite academic subject and explain how it has influenced you.

ymcashehata 1 / 1  
Hypothesis: If I memorize the whole AP Biology book verbatim, then I will automatically understand the subject and do well in the class.

The paramount objective associated with the field of science as a whole primarily has to do with proving and disproving hypotheses towards the pursuit of progress.

After internally proposing my hypothesis and executing it, I promptly realized that it was fallacious. Refusing to give up, I manipulated the variables. I spent more time memorizing and rewriting the textbook. Disappointingly though, the results were no different. Reaching the brink of personal anguish, I finally realized that changing the variables would not account for any substantial differences. I would have to amend my own studying methods.

Rather than memorizing, I began to understand and comprehend everything I read and heard. Through this class I recognized the importance of deep vs surface comprehension. To truly be one with what you learn, you cannot simply just spit out what you read. Ap Biology taught me to see the beauty in taking the initiative to go the extra mile. After all, scientific discoveries are not made by parrots who refuse to question what their surroundings, rather they are made by contemplative birds who fly up and above, rising to the occasion.

Science is not as simple as an If/Then statement. The complexity behind the subject and the manner in which science allowed me to dwell in the realms of infinite possibilities let me gain a feeling of independence. I no longer depend on being spoon fed information, rather I search for ideas and answers on my own. The inquisitive excitement, curiosity, and openness towards comprehending biology is what propelled me to enroll at the CSU Biotechnology camp over the summer. It is through this camp that I unearthed and recognized my inclination for biology; ultimately declaring that I would direct the rest of my academic career towards the pursuit of science.

Conclusion: My hypothesis was proven false, however, the lessons I obtained allowed me to acknowledge how science helps us overcome our own limitations and provide order for a complex universe.
This is a very interesting presentation Gilan. You utilized a unique way of responding to the prompt. However, I don't believe that your response is strong enough represent how your interest in this topic influenced you. the influence that you present here is on the logical side. It allows the reviewer to know that you are analytical and highly interested in science and all things related. It does not, offer him a look at who you are because of science. What kind of character came about within you because of the scientific influence? Science seems to technical a discussion, which is where your response finally ended up . So maybe you can try to make it a little unscientific by presenting the influence it had on your character development as well? That way you don't just present your logical side, you also present your human side as science helped you develop it.
yurikeyuri 43 / 61 2  
Hello, let me give my correction

I spent more time memorizingto memorize and rewritingto rewrite the textbook

...comprehend everything that I read and heard (because in this sentence consist of two sentences and must add a connector)

I search for many ideas and ...

My hypothesis wasis proven false, however, the lessons which I obtained allowed ...

thank you
alex137911 2 / 5 2  
@ymcashehata

After all, scientific discoveries are not made by parrots who refuse to question what their surroundings....

Overall, I think it was well written. I think you took a creative approach to answering the question asked of you, however you may want to expand more on your conclusion. Your conclusion is your last impression you leave the reader with, so it should be a very strong ending. For example, why is it important to you that science presents order to a complex Universe? How has it influenced you as a person?

Home / Undergraduate / Describe your favorite academic subject and explain how it has influenced you.