Describe two or three of your current intellectual interests and why they are exciting to you.

kylasummer 1 / -  
If I could describe the world we live in today in a three word phrase I would say: amazing yet suck-ish. Such-ish is a fifth grade adjective to describe the world and humanity as we know it but I belive it's fitting. As a teenager living in the twenty first century in wealthy country it's easy to complain about things sucki-sh "first world problems" like slow wifi or the fact that Chipotle charges extra money for guacamole. However my sophomore year I realized that complaints started to shift from personal problems to political or social problems. I went through many emotions including anger, disgust, sadness until finally they all formulated into just one. Frustration. One day my frustration turned into inspiration upon reading a Lily Tomlin quote that said, "I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."

It's such a simple thought but it completely changed my way of thinking and I decided that I was going to help fix or at least help all of the problems in America that bothered me. Two things that currently interest me more than anything are building my leadership skills and how I can apply those skills to the world to make it a little less suckish.That thought brought me to political science and thats when I realized I want to be a politician. An influential politician. An authentic leader and representative for America.

My talent is that I know my passion for my greater purpose. I am using all my current resources to begin honing my political craft and refine my worldview. As editor in chief of our school newspaper I am finding not only my writing voice, but flexing my leadership muscle too. I am a veteran leader in our school's mentoring program to incoming freshman. I help guide them to making healthy and advantageous decisions. I help them navigate the new world of academia while also realizing a new social and extracurricular world.

I thirst for knowledge and ways to interact meaningfully with, and truly understand others. I am a young, black, compassionate, and educated woman. I have faced down adversity and tragedy many times over and I am not afraid of success.

I aim to explore just how powerful I can make my leadership role in helping my country.
Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences offers a nurturing environment, opportunities and resources that are pertinent to my political and social interests. The college's motto "We are learning for life" is something that really sticks with me because I believe that everything I will be taught at Cornell I willl use for the rest of my life.
Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
Hi Kyla

Here are my suggestions. Hope this helps ) amazing yet suck-ish. Such-ish (I don't know if its intentional or you made a spelling mistake here?)is a fifth grade adjective to describe the world and humanity as we know it but I belivebelieve it's fitting.

As a teenager living in the twenty first century in wealthy country, (put comma) it's easy to complain about ....

However my sophomore year Imade me realizerealized that complaints started to shift from personal problems to political or social problems. I went through many emotions including anger, disgust, sadness until finally they all formulated into just one: (no full stop ) Frustration.

Two thingsissues/concern/problems (avoid using word things, but be specific) that currently interest me more than anything are building my leadership skills and how I can apply those skills to the world to make it a little less suckish.

That thought brought me to political science and thats when I realized I want to be a politician, An influential politician, An authentic leader and representative for America (you have been missing to put commas )

My talent is that I know my passion for my greater purpose
(I could not get this line>?? )

Home / Undergraduate / Describe two or three of your current intellectual interests and why they are exciting to you.