Describe an unusual way in which you have fun. (Caltech Supplement)

montysire 2 / 5  
Please give some thoughts and opinions. BE HARSH! Is it unique?

PROMPT: Caltech students have long been known for their quirky sense of humor and creative pranks. Please describe an unusual way in which you have fun.(1000 characters)

I had added too much brown sugar and not enough potassium nitrate. The mixture started boiling, and the red dye I had added gave way to a burnt, black colored substance. Smoke arose, as slithering flame threatened to burn the house down. I rapidly threw the pan containing the substance into a bucket filled with water. I was trying for the fifth time to make a smoke bomb for the game of paintball I had the next day. By the end of the day, I found the perfect ratio for the combination and awed my friends with a curtain of smoke.

I have always enjoyed applying science everyday life. It's as if science enhanced every activity, making it yet more fun. If I can build something fun at home, why buy it? Either by making a water rocket powered by a bicycle pump or a metal detector out of old copper coils, some resistors and a battery, guided by a 1960 technology magazine, I'm always actively working on these entertaining projects that can be used to prank others or just simply impress them.

CHARACTER COUNT: 995

THANK YOU
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I think you have a good essay here. I can help you with your wording. Here are my suggestions:

I had added too much brown sugar and not enough potassium nitrate into my experiment. The mixture started boiling, and the red dye I had added gave way tomelded into a burnt, black colored substance.

Smoke arose, as slithering flame threatened to burn the house down.

This sounds a litte odd, maybe you can re-phrase this.

I rapidly threw the burning pan containing the substance into a bucket filled with water. I was tryingF or the fifth time,I had attempted to make a smoke bomb for the next day's game of paintball.I had the next day. By the end of the day, I had found the perfect (ingredients?) ratio (recipe?) for the combination.andI successfully awed my friends with a curtain of smoke.

I have always enjoyed applying scienceto my everyday life.
OP montysire 2 / 5  
Great advice. I've altered and revised the original. Thank you
qasderwdw 9 / 36 1  
I know this is really random but I got excited cuz u talked about smoke bombs!
I was in AP chem last year and my partner and I were in the process of heating the mixture and it exploded.
Our whole classroom was filled with smoke and the fire alarm went off. It was fun.
Anyways, good essay.
But I definitely think you could improve it by talking about one iunique ncident and elaborating on it. (Prompt: describe an unusual way in which you have fun.) That'll be more intersting :)

Home / Undergraduate / Describe an unusual way in which you have fun. (Caltech Supplement)