Designated Driver - (UC prompt 1 - my world)

mbhaire 7 / 17  
does the essay fit the prompt? I wasn't sure if this was too specific or not reflective enough or too short, etc. any comments/edits would be GREATLY appreciated!

Prompt: Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Designated Driver

I was fifteen years old. I had just earned my driver's permit, and my dad was eager to teach me the ropes, well, the pedals. He suggested we drive by where he grew up, and I thought it would be fun. I drove through his picturesque suburban neighborhood as he pointed out where he lived, where he hung out with his friends, where he played pranks on the neighbors. As I turned down a narrower road and approached a small church on the left, my dad said:

"This is where my father killed a preacher while drunk driving." I didn't respond because I didn't know how to. I knew that my grandfather had left his family when my dad was young, but my dad rarely talked about his alcoholic father and broken childhood. We sat in an uncomfortable silence, and I continued down the road to his past.

Even though I've never met him, my grandfather has influenced my world in more ways than he could know. He is the primary reason why I have made a conscious decision to not drink alcohol or do drugs. Because of him, I find the motivation to stick to my promise even when all my friends are talking about how blasted they were the other night. As of late, I'm starting to see glaring evidence of peer pressure in my life, and in the lives of my friends, but I refuse to take part. I never want to find myself in a situation where I don't have complete control over my own mind, and that means staying alcohol and substance-free.

My reality is my world, and everything I see, hear, smell, taste, and touch is a lucid experience. The thought of waking up and not being able to remember my own life is terrifying to me. My world is tangible, colorful, and without regret. It is also littered with obstacles, for sometimes I find friendships faltering due to my choices. However, I aspire to remain true my convictions.
bhangra369 8 / 11  
This fits the prompt as far as I can tell...
OP mbhaire 7 / 17  
thanks... i wasn't sure if it was too specific or just not right somehow... i adapted it from another essay. any edits i could make?
gman450 1 / 4  
I aspire to remain true to my convictions
Well, if the word limit allows for you to write a bit more, I suggest that you add one more concluding/reflective paragraph to tie this conviction (to be responsible in order to prevent tragedy that results from recklessness) in with your intended program of study at the school to which you are applying.

Good luck!!

Home / Undergraduate / Designated Driver - (UC prompt 1 - my world)