'Desire to seek and embrace challenge' Letter to your roommate (Stanford Supplement)

madlilly93 1 / 1  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate-- and us-- know you better.

Dear Future Roommate,

My friends often find my habit of "room-shopping" odd, but I usually find the conclusions that can be drawn based on what is on a person's bedside table are quite representative of their owners' personalities. If you are like me, while we are piecing together the room we will be sharing at Stanford, you will be looking at what I am unpacking and wondering why I chose to bring along what I did.

When you see me pull out my old, beat-up iPod, know that on it I can find a song perfect for any occasion, and that I am always excited to hear new opinions on music. I can show you the songs I like to listen to while painting my nails or solving Sudoku puzzles, or others for more danceable activities. Personal dance parties happen often while I am getting dressed or baking my signature Whoopie pies, though by the way that I dance, you would never guess it! If, while writing an essay, you cannot free a stuck thought, I will gladly intervene with some Ke$ha blasting to help shake it loose.

Remember the ability your blankets had when you were little to shield you from everything scary? From time to time I plan to take advantage of a similar relaxing quality, so my soft purple blanket will accompany me to Stanford. Its color is my favorite, and is reflective of my personality: a balanced combination of an energetic, passionate red and a strong, even blue. I like to think its powers are strengthened by the memory I have of making it with my mom on a particularly cool winter break, so there should be enough for us to share over an episode of Glee or a rerun of Lost, if you happen to like either.

In a bottle I have a small sample of sand from a jumping pit at Hayward Field, which I collected my junior year during the trip to the state track and field meet, in which I missed qualifying to compete by just a few inches between two events. I keep the sand to provide myself with a reminder of the successes that can be attained from persevering to one's goals, and of the importance of moving on and growing from feelings of regret. We share, if nothing else, a desire to seek and embrace challenge, otherwise neither of us would have applied to an institution such as Stanford. For that reason, I am eager to meet you!

It's a little long and not fully edited yet, but I would appreciate feedback as to whether I'm on the right track, what I should change/ whether I should reroute and rewrite, etc. Thanks!
zxing 3 / 8  
This is an excellent and very creative approach, introducing yourself through your belongings. However, I would make the letter more cohesive (maybe by using words like "first, second, last" to start paragraphs) and make sure that you actually use these items to tell about yourself. The blanket and sand are very good items to use, but I would change the ipod to something that is more personal, maybe something that is related to a personal hobby or something. Overall, just make sure that you use the items as a jumping point to introduce traits such as your hospitality, respectfulness, inquisitiveness, etc

Home / Undergraduate / 'Desire to seek and embrace challenge' Letter to your roommate (Stanford Supplement)