Determined to finish my degree haven't been in school for 2 1/2 yrs readmission essay

gilligan715 1 / -  
Essay is optional. No guidelines. I want to show personal issues have set me back, but i am determined to finish my degree! Below is what I have so far...

Any and all comments/advice/ corrections will be greatly appreciated!

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life," a statement coined by Charles Dederich, has been a daily dose of motivation for me. I say this to myself when I wake up and a number of times throughout the day to remind myself that no matter what I can make a difference starting now. Whether that difference is a whole new life choice, or just an attitude adjustment, it helps to know the opportunity for improvement is available at all times. I have faced a whirlwind of life change and challenges in the past few years, and overcoming these experiences has been a mix of taken and missed opportunities. But there is no time like the present to make a positive change. Given the opportunity to finish my degree here at UCCS, will be a positive permanent change for my life. Please consider my readmission because I now have the much needed support, determination, and discipline to finish my degree, as well as a strong desire to begin working in my dream field of teaching.

In the beginning of 2008 my husband and I were both in between jobs. He had been discharged medically from the Army, while I had quit my managerial position at a local shop to assist a close friend in maintaining his small custom cabinetry business. I adjusted well to my new position but civilian life for my PTSD ridden husband was proving to be a very difficult transition. Chris had been medically retired for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Crohns Disease: both of which feed off of each other making his civilian life mentally challenging and physically disabling. We spent night after night dealing with nightmares, bouts of anger and mood swings, in addition to the numerous doctor appointments, procedures and a slew of different medications for both disorders. Trying to keep our lives together became a daily fight with his health and each other. Despite my lack of focus on schoolwork at home, I stayed in school, I feel, because it was my only "normal" time. Going to class was the only time I had to myself where I could think about something besides my life for awhile. Being able to look back I do not regret spending the time with my family, but I do regret having not withdrawn from school before I faced such dramatically declining grades which lead to my academic suspension.

However, I am a responsible being and I am only looking for a chance to make things right with my academic and career goals. I have the determination and discipline it takes to complete my Bachelors degree. As it can be seen on my transcripts, my early years of college prove I have the ability to succeed as a student. I am open-minded and capable of learning. Having four years of experience, some good and some bad, I know what it takes to do well. I have learned from my mistakes, and I am wanting to move forward, toward graduating and ultimately my dream of becoming a teacher.

Since I was four years old I knew I wanted to be an elementary teacher. Having been toted around to all the extracurricular activities my PTA president mom was involved with, I spent most of my time growing up in and around school functions. As a toddler I would sit quietly, eat donuts and draw pictures for the superintendent during school board meetings. Every teacher I had knew me "when I was in diapers." My grandmother and now my mother work as secretaries in the elementary buildings. I always felt comfortable in a school. I felt at home and I knew I would someday have a classroom of my own to help shape children into forward looking, educated people just like my elementary school had done for me. In order to make my dream career a reality, I need to finish my Bachelors and go on to earn my teaching certification.

I can and will finish my degree one way or another, but I hope to have the opportunity to finish what I started here at UCCS. Having time away from school to work on and patch up my life over the past few years has been a blessing in disguise, a real eye opening experience. It has helped me remember and realize what I want to do with my life as a career woman and a family woman. I know the person I want to be and I have what it takes to get there. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
amitt - / 80  
"But there is no time like the present to make a positive change. Given the opportunity to finish my degree here at UCCS." Please check out this statement

Home / Undergraduate / Determined to finish my degree haven't been in school for 2 1/2 yrs readmission essay