'DETERMINED TO BE SOMEBODY' - Howard University Admission Essay

snaacks 2 / 2  
Howard University is interested in you as a person, as well as how you think and express your thoughts. TOPIC OF YOUR CHOICE (500 WORDS)

"I'M DETERMINED TO BE SOMEBODY, SOMEDAY." The words of Herbert W. Brewster have been embedded in me for a while now. I would like to achieve more for myself, and I believe furthering my education is what it will take. I want the opportunity to prove that I have what it takes to make it out of my community successful. The conditions and circumstances of the education in my neighborhood make it appear that I don't have a chance. In my community, the odds are often against those few teens of color, that are trying so hard to make it out. By accomplishing my goals to further my education in order to to drop the stereotypical views of my community will assist me in becoming someone, someday.

To me, success comes from determination, and determination comes from self-belief. I have often felt that there are only a few people who wants me to succeed, others have bashed me, and spoke down on my accomplishments and goals. From that, I learned that in order for me to be successful, I have no choice but to believe in myself, regardless of the setbacks and negative conditions around me. I am determined to reach my goals of being successful, not to prove people wrong, but to prove to myself that I have what it takes to be someone.
muhannadmatahen 4 / 4  
I find what you talked about is Interisting Interesting. but i think you need to work much more harder on your punctuation
jaybird88 1 / 2  
Great ideas, and great beginning. Try to be more specific. Admissions committees are looking for individuals who they feel will best represent their university. Try to speak to how Howard, specifically, will help you achieve your dreams. Also, try to avoid cliches. "...will assist me in becoming someone, someday." Admissions committees see words and phrases like this all the time, so you need to write something that will stick out. Write exactly who or what it is you want to be someday. You write "...to prove to myself that I have what it takes to be someone." This is too vague. Try to narrow down what it is you want to do and who you want to be and go from there.
chessman567 5 / 170 11  
write about something unique. Jaybird has a point. There are thousands of people that apply to Howard that write about I'm going to be something great or something like that. Be unique.

Home / Undergraduate / 'DETERMINED TO BE SOMEBODY' - Howard University Admission Essay