"to develop both intellectually and personally" - essay i sent to Columbia

pranavkjain 2 / 3  
Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why?

What appeals to me about Columbia the most is the opportunity to develop both intellectually and personally in ways that will allow me to achieve lasting, meaningful success.

Fortunate to have a wide range of interests in a nation where mathematics and science are disproportionately emphasized, I appreciate two aspects of Columbia's academic curriculum. First, Columbia's strengths in both Economics and Political Science will allow me to build and leverage a strong foundation essential for a career in public policy and international affairs. Second, Columbia's emphasis on the Core Curriculum aligns with my own belief in developing an intellectual curiosity that transcends academic majors, a necessity in solving society's most critical challenges.

Academics aside, Columbia also offers extensive extracurricular and cultural opportunities that will contribute greatly to my personal growth. An avid debater and speaker for years, I intend to join Columbia's Philolexian Society and refine my oratory and writing skills with classmates who share this passion. In addition, being part of a culturally rich and diverse student body in an urban and culturally rich city will supplement classroom learning and prepare me to appreciate and celebrate our differences as citizens of an interconnected, global family.

No other university offers such comprehensive education, and by absorbing all what Columbia has to offer, I hope to lead a life that maximizes my impact upon society
monkeymaze 7 / 15  
Hi,

I really like how you included many aspects of Columbia that would help improve your interests. However, I think that it would be better if you wrote more about the academic programs offered by Columbia (possibly note some specific courses that might help you achieve your economic/ poly sci major). But overall, the grammar is great and you pointed out some parts of Columbia that stand out to you. Good Luck to your application. Also, can you take a look at my "First Tee" essay? Thanks.
cjjackson11 1 / 1  
Was there a word limitation for your essay? Your essay is a way to personalize yourself to the admissions committee outside of grades and test scores. I think you did a good job. However, you should have relayed how the programs were going to assist you in reaching your goals. Also, you should think of your strengths and skill and how they would add to the environment at Columbia.

Home / Undergraduate / "to develop both intellectually and personally" - essay i sent to Columbia