The Dickinson application for 2013 essay; 'I am defined by my mistakes'

skhan196 1 / 1  
hello lovelies, if any pointers or notes can be given, it would be much appreciated xx
this is the question: In addition to curriculum, grades and activities, Dickinson's Admissions Committee looks for purpose, potential and self-reflection. Explain why you have chosen to apply to Dickinson and how your interests, talents and goals fit with Dickinson's distinctive character.

and my essay response
I am defined by my mistakes
It is the countless errors and faults in my character that make me stand out. I am not perfect, I am not flawless but nonetheless I am better than both because I still try. As Senator Robert F. Kennedy once said "only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" And this is a saying I live by.

Growing up in various overseas countries with a mix of different nationalities, I have become accustomed to the colorful variety of cultures and people. From celebrating the festival of Lights - Diwali, to the red and green merriments of Christmas, I have learnt the importance diversity brings to life. It showed me that there is no one way to getting things done, if one route doesn't work try the alternative. When my proposal for the school's first ever Model United Nations conference was accepted, I remember feeling overwhelmed. Excited? Yes, how was I, one person supposed to do this? After a few minutes of contemplating the daunting task ahead of me, I realized that the answer wouldn't come to me immediately; I would need to work and dedicate myself to get this MUN to be the success that people were expecting. The experience was more than just getting a bunch of students together and then debating current world issues. It helped me appreciate the difficulties involved in planning an interschool event, it was about comprehending the importance of clear communication and trust, and it was about taking basic classroom skills and applying them to real life. From relentless calls to caterers to last minute crisis issues with table arrangement, the whole event was managing one situation after the other which in my mind made it the memorable success it was. Living in the tight knitted community helped me appreciate the importance of the student faculty connection. The strong student teacher bond was not only effective in building my confidence, pushing me to take risks academically and personally, but also taught me that a misstep should not be seen as a failure but as an important step in coming closer to success.

A Bias towards biology and my curiosity about the field of medicine led me to interning at Fatimah Memorial Hospital in Pakistan. Here the internship reinforced the importance of disciplined evaluation, patience and objectivity in me. I was truly moved by the erudite yet personalised manner in which the doctors communicate with patients along with the rewards of being able to have such a considerable impact on patients' lives. After seeing the affects of different ailments firsthand it got me questioning the reasons behind the symptoms that we see and how diseases develop. Through watching natural births to orthopaedic surgery of a myriad of patients of diverse attitudes and ages, I was able to see the emotional and physical stresses doctors face daily, something not usually seen by the public.

Volunteer work is extremely important to me, I strongly believe in the saying that deeds, not words shall speak for me. Working in orphanages, tutoring at schools, spending my weekends volunteering at the High School Library, I feel as if I am doing something worthwhile. It has also taught me that it is sometimes a smile or a few kind words that brings the biggest joy.

Dickinson College has a 10 to 1 student faculty ratio, which makes it unique. A strong desire of mine has to continue studying in such a system, and personally Dickinson is perfect for this. The close contact with the professors and the personal attention will help me to mature academically, intellectually but most importantly individually. Pursuing an education at Dickinson is about more than just a degree. It is about growing up to impact and learn from the people around me. What really interests me about Dickinson is its global approach. The Colleges integration of studying abroad is more tangible since it's not just for a few students here and there and only in some departments, but something almost any student can acquire.

How to avoid your request when you call us lovelies ? ....hahaha ....lol :D

It is the countless errors and faults in my character that make me stand out. I am not perfect, I am not flawless but nonetheless I am better than both because I still try.

...... Here, why not you tell that you look at your mistakes in a positive way and make learn something meaningful to your life through them;

My suggestion;

It is the countless errors and faults that contribute me to stand out. Yes , I am neither perfect nor flawless, but nonetheless I strive to better myself through every lesson I learn from my mistakes.
OP skhan196 1 / 1  
dumi
thank you dear xx

Home / Undergraduate / The Dickinson application for 2013 essay; 'I am defined by my mistakes'