Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Dickinson College Supplement-We Don't Belong to Ourselves

NatMeng 3 / 10  
Dickinson College founder, statesman and physician Benjamin Rush wrote several essays on education for this new nation. Listed below are three of Rush's philosophies. Choose one and explain how that philosophy relates to your talents, goals and the reasons you chose to apply to Dickinson.

Dickinson students shall understand that they don't belong to themselves.

any suggestion's welcome!!!!

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."--Martin Luther King Jr.

I rushed from my hotel room. But all I saw when I got on the street was his jaded figure, wrapped by layers of rags, moving like a ghost. The big black bag that he was dragging was chafed by the ground, making high frequency noises. Three gray doves came,smelled over those pieces of trash that he didn't gather into his bag and flew away. Gradually, the road turn from cold gray to beige and then little orange, yet his face was never warmed by the sunshine, because he never looked up.

I was chilled on that warm summer morning in Los Angeles. A yong man with fine suit accidentally knocked down (don't know if this is the good phrase to use)the homeless' bag, a big black bag, left a "sorry" on the road without even look at that poor man, let alone help him gather his stuff. And instead the young man checked his cellphone and rushed away. I never thought a city named angel would ever lack careness or love.

"I want to be a columnist." I wrote, when Collegeboard posted a question about goals and dreams to all registers. Besides those cliche reasons like "loving it" and "being good at it", I deem I want to kick numbness that drowned our souls and nature away and grab awareness that supposed to be inherent back. I felt the loneliness and complaint in my cousin's heart when her parents were busy at work and left only the dark sky and moon to company her. I also taseted the bitter and sadness in the breeze when my friends and I kept getting rejected by those rich entrepreneneurs when we tried to gather some help for the dropouts in a remote area in our province.

If we look around, we'll find that people search for different means to save more time but we only get less time to give even a glance at things that happened around us; people invent various transportations to shorter the distances but we only get farther from one another; people try divers ways to earn greater wealth but we only spend smaller amount of money on things that matter. Some of us are becoming increasingly self-centered, hiding under the cold armors, and forget that we, as human, a species living on the earth, belong to our family and friends, our community and the world.

I once doubted if there are other people, grown-ups who won't be called naive, have the same wish, because as I grew older more and more people around me send me this message that the is how we survive in the modern-day society and this is how things work. But Mr. Benjamin Rush's will of making Dickinson College a place "offering education not for its own sake, but to be useful in furthering a just democratic society" gave me hope. I found exactly the place where I belong to, where students become extraordinary scholars and people who can make the world a better place, a warmer one , a more loving home for everyone, at the same time. Dickinson College is the home for people like me who believe that we should inquery and take our citizen responsibilities. And in this regard I cordially hope that I can become one of the group of people who spread sunshine and warmess all over the world, and most importantly, who have faith that we ought to serve our soecity and we don't belong to ourselves.

Home / Undergraduate / Dickinson College Supplement-We Don't Belong to Ourselves