Differences between American and Japanese culture; Yale Supp; More about me

Tidal Wave 2 / 2 2  
The Prompt: In this second essay, please reflect on something you would like us to know about you that we might not learn from the rest of your application-or on something that you would like to say more about. We ask that you limit your essay to fewer than 500 words.

Tell me what you think. I really appreciate the critiques and am asking for them, so I promise you guys that I won't be offended by anything you have to say about it. My biggest worry right now is that it doesn't really answer the prompt.Thanks in advance!

"I am Sailor Moon, the champion of justice. In the name of the moon, I will right wrong and triumph over evil... and that means you," yelled the scantily-dressed female heroine as she rushed into a battle with the evil Negaverse. As a child, I loved cartoons--especially the Japanese anime, "Sailor Moon." I spent countless afternoons watching episode after episode, season after season. In essence, the show became my childhood obsession; unluckily, it also became one of my parent's greatest annoyances.

As a Japanese series, the concepts and cultural differences in "Sailor Moon" greatly contrasted from those of American television. Those differences between American and Japanese culture obviously filled me with countless questions, questions that I would often voice to my parents at the most inconvenient of moments.

While my father silently read the newspaper on Sunday mornings, I would ask him about kimonos, Kotogakko uniforms, and the Japanese style of theater known as Bunraku. While my mother attempted to cook yet another failed casserole, I would interject my views on Japanese architecture, Japanese music, and the many traditional customs of the Japanese culture.

During school days, I resisted learning about anything that didn't relate to Japan. I would disrupt class periods to tell my classmates stories about an alien culture on the other side of the world where people ate with sticks and slept on hard floor mats. By the end of the year, I had even begun a Japanese trivia game. The culture had engulfed my world.

In all my memories of childhood, "Sailor Moon" is a pervading element. The Japanese anime was my first spark of passion for culture, a spark that eventually led to my discovery of other alien worlds and to the founding of my cultural club, XXX.

XXX helped to make me who I am today. More than that, it made me realize the oddity of how certain things can affect us. One juvenile anime changed my social opinions, and in turn, helped me to change the opinions of a dozen club members. It made them and myself more open, more accepting, and best of all, less likely to discriminate. One day, these members--myself included--will graduate and add their opinions to the social atmosphere of a college. Like a handshake, the tolerance they learned from XXX will touch a person from one community before going on to touch another, maybe their touches will even reach Japan. And all this because of a scantily-dressed heroine in a Saturday morning cartoon.
qwerty_123 1 / 1  
Your essay is great! Im not much of a grammar fanatic but it seems okay. To answer your worry about the prompt; I would say that you have answered it. From what I quickly read this essay shows how passionate of a person you are and how involved you are in school-even showing your leadership side. (Also if you happen to be Japanese it shows the importance of your culture. If you are not Japanese it shows how welcoming you are to other cultures.)

As long as you didn't focus primarily on the elements I saw in this essay in other parts of the application you have answered the prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / Differences between American and Japanese culture; Yale Supp; More about me