'Different' - Fashion Design - candidate for FIT?

Fannie 1 / 1  
Different. That is what I have been my entire life. Ever since I was a little girl, I was always different and I never truly fitted in anywhere. When you are a little girl you almost never realize the true reason of why people never really were your friends or whispered mean things behind your back. However when you are a kid, this sort of things don't really make an impression on you. The only interest a kid has, is to play and have fun. Of course, to me this was not the case. Being always casted away by classmates, I found art as my refuge and my friend. Growing up and learning to draw by myself helped me discover my passion for art. That is where colors, patterns, pictures, drawings became my life. With each year that passed, my abilities in drawing improved and my creativity developed. Coming from a family of engineers, botanists, chemists and doctors, the expectations people had about me where always high. Dedicating my life to the arts was always out of the question, but deep inside I always knew this was my true passion. It took me years to convince myself that choosing this path was the right one and that no matter what my parents said, I would never change my mind.

With the complete support of my parents I started to submerge myself in the world of fashion and for the first time in years, it made me completely happy. There I was, a lonely girl with high aspirations and big dreams, but I didn't know where exactly would I go. Then one day, a friend of my parents mentioned FIT. She told us what a wonderful university it was and that how the location was actually very helpful once you finished your studies. This information was new to me so I decided to take a look at it. From the day that I discovered FIT, I knew that there is where I wanted to study and transform my dreams into reality. Once I convinced myself and let others know about my decision, negative comments flooded my mind like never before. I was disappointed and I started doubting my decision. A rebel inside me told me that my life was that, mine, and that I should always follow my dreams no matter how dumb or unrealistic they seemed to the others. That is why FIT is what I want the most. FIT is not a common school, is an opportunity of a lifetime. It is a place where I can prove to others that being different is good. Where I can show how that a simple piece of fabric can become a canvas to express something through it. The satisfaction one feels when you see the physical representation of something that you have created with your hands. How a simple idea in your mind can express so much through clothes or how a simple garment with a vibrant color can change your mood from being sad to ecstatic and happy. Fashion is not a frivolous way to differentiate from other, but it is a lifestyle that brings together people no matter their skin color or their religion. That is why Fashion design is the perfect path for me. I want to be able to express myself or tell a story through clothing that will inspire people and make them feel good about themselves.

I think FIT is the perfect place where I can develop the necessary skills not only make my dream come true, to become a famous fashion designer, but also change the way people see fashion. I know that the path I am choosing is highly competitive, but I have a lot of courage, determination and creativity with a touch of innovation that the industry demands. I will give all that I have to succeed in this school and I hope I am granted the opportunity to prove of what I am capable of.
cordyceps 3 / 11  
When you are a little girl you almost never realize the true reason of why people never really were your friends or whispered mean things behind your back. However when you are a kid, this sort of things don't really make an impression on you.

I wouldn't use 'however' as a transition there for your ideas in the two sentences feel like more supporting than contrasting each other. Maybe somehow write them as one sentence could do as well. My suggestion is like this:

"The reasons of why people never really were your friends or why they whispered mean things behind your back didn't really make an impression on you as a kid"

With each year that passed, my abilities in drawing improved and my creativity developed.

With each passing year , my abilities...

With the complete support of my parents I started to submerge myself in the world of fashion and for the first time in years, it made me completely happy.

With complete support from my parents, I started to...

but I didn't know where exactly would I go.

where exactly I would go

The satisfaction one feels when you see the physical representation of something that you have created with your hands.

I would say it is not exactly a finished sentence? 'The satisfaction' is your subject, but you're lacking an object here.

I like your essay. It really shows your passion for the arts and fashion. Good luck with your application! Hope I helped in any way, and would appreciate if you have a look at my essays :-)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Different' - Fashion Design - candidate for FIT?