"Digital Media Design" - Penn Supplement

swoosh18 4 / 40  
Considering both the specific undergraduate school or program to which you are applying and the broader University of Pennsylvania community, what academic, research, and/or extracurricular paths do you see yourself exploring at Penn?-500 words

When I was younger, often times my peers would complain about how much they hated certain subjects. I never did because to me every subject was interesting and fun to learn. Throughout life, people have always asked me, "What do you want to be when you grow up?", and more recently the question asked has been "What will your major be in college?" Being a person with such varied interests, answering those questions has always been a struggle. However, through researching the University of Pennsylvania, I found a program that helped me answer those questions: Digital Media Design.

My interest in art started at a very young age. My mom has always told me that I could draw as soon as I could hold a crayon. Therefore, art has always been something that I love to do and something that I could consider as a future career. I am interested in studying all parts of art and design, including painting, architecture, photography, graphic design, sculpture, and animation. Besides art, I have always also been fascinated with science and technology and learning how our world works. I know I want to be an innovator in whatever I do and the Digital Media Design program will allow me to do that. I would love to have a career in the movie or gaming industries, and with DMD I will be able to learn both the artistic and technological aspects of animating and interactive media and technology.

Another one of my interests is music. I have been playing the clarinet since the fourth grade and cannot wait to continue playing into college. I am also interested in learning about jazz and the music of different cultures around the world, so I am contemplating a minor in music. I plan to be very involved outside the classroom, too. I have been a part of my high school's marching band for all four years of high school, so I would love to join Penn's Fighting Quaker Marching Band, as well as any other music ensembles I have time for. I have also been playing soccer since the second grade and plan on continuing to play, either on a club team or on an intramural team. As well as continuing my interests from high school, I plan on taking advantage of Penn's proximity the mountains by learning to how to snowboard. Additionally, I want to serve the community however I can, especially through spreading a love of art to the children of Philadelphia with the Penn Art Club.

What ever my future career may be, I know that the University of Pennsylvania will give me the tools to succeed. With a foundation in the liberal arts I will be able to explore all of my interests and gain a varied knowledge. I will learn about subjects I have never even heard of before and challenge myself in every way I can. The possibilities are innumerable at Penn, and I cannot wait for my journey to begin.

Be harsh if needed. Please also read my other threads because I want to use one for my common app essay. Tell me which one is better. Thanks :)
yadda514 4 / 16  
alot of schools have digital media design what made penn different?

Another one of my interests is music. I have been playing the clarinet since the fourth grade and cannot wait to continue playing into college. I am also interested in learning about jazz and the music of different cultures around the world, so I am contemplating a minor in music.<-- not quite right the word order maybe i am contemplating a minor in music....
lapetitecygne 7 / 16  
true, what makes DMD at penn special? it's good that you have a solid reason for your interest, now just talk about why penn of all places.

extracurrics look good, music and community service, but maybe more of the latter? it comes across as sort of an afterthought..

take a look at mine as well? thanks :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Digital Media Design" - Penn Supplement