'direction for the future' - Common app number 1, peer leaderhship!

ashleymanoff 2 / 2  
I know i'm not a good writer at all, so i decided to give this a try to see if i could find or get some help.

The prompt was to "Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and it's impact on you."

Helping others is a passion I have and have always had since I was little, whether it has to do with giving people advice or teaching them a new skill. Sophomore year I decided to take an elective class called Peer Leadership. This class is a volunteer opportunity to teacher assist for special ed students. It was the best decision of my life, it has taught me so many new things and opened my mind up to so many new windows. Being in this class for three years how been quite the experience and it is significant because I really got to know the kids through this program, not only did I learn from this class but I got to help other too, and I actually came to the conclusion of what I want to be when i'm older through this class.

Getting to know the students was life changing, everything about it is the same, yet so different. You work with them on certain things and throughout the days you just watch them grow. It's an amazing feeling knowing you are the one who thought them that skill. Growing close to them was one of the best high school experiences for me. Being in this class has taught me more then just on a teaching level.

Helping someone else do something while learning about something new yourself is kind of a strange feeling. As I go through the class period of Peer Leadership I always leave in a good mood, knowing I did something for them and they did something for me. As everyone learns in that class together, it is amazing to see the growth of the students after just telling them one little thing and how far that can go.

Nothing makes me happier then realizing a class that I thought i wouldn't even like, has now been my choice of direction for the future. This class has opened my eyes to show me what i am good at and what i'm not. I really do think I could succeed in this area and I have peer leadership to help me for that.

This class has been such a significant experience and has really taught me a lot. Working with these kids has made me a better person, and I cannot thank them enough.
nnrn55 - / 2  
Overall, this is a good essay, but there's something abstract: "many new experience" "significant experience"
You should make them more concrete:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'direction for the future' - Common app number 1, peer leaderhship!