Disabled Daughter + Jewel + Roommate (beautiful scenery) - 3 Stanfords

GroovyStar 2 / 3  
Please edit!!! In the meantime I'll be editing other essays.
---------
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

"Confessions of a Disabled Parent's Daughter"

On the night of November 17, 2007, my mother, my brother, and I visited my father at the hospital. At the time, he had already been in the hospital for a week after suffering a heart attack and undergoing open-heart surgery. I thought that our laughter and conversation that night was a sign that my father was recovering very well.

Fast-forward to the next morning, when I awoke to the brightness of the sun and the sound of my mother's rushed movement. Just another typical morning, I thought at first. However, as my eyes became fully open, I could clearly see distress on my mother's face. When I asked her what was wrong, she responded with the words that shook me like an earthquake: "Daddy had a stroke." Spaced out and in a subdued state of disbelief, I thought: I don't understand. We just saw him last night!

From the onset of my father's illness, I have confronted emotions and issues that many teenagers have never faced. My father stayed in multiple hospitals and rehabilitation centers from November 2007 to January 2008. After coming back home for a month, he developed kidney problems which caused him to reenter the hospital until May. The grim events and prognoses during the course of those transitions, including hearing from my mother in the kitchen that my father had the heart attack and witnessing him in his hospital bed unable to speak, made me constantly worried that I might actually lose him. Even though I was rarely able to shed any tears, the prospect of a parent's death frightened me.

Along with the emotional hardships of my father's illness came social hardships. Since my mother and I were taking care of him after the times he was released from the hospital, we have not been able to work outside our home or travel as far or often as we used to. I cannot count how many social outings I had to reject because of my partial responsibility for my father's well-being. I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when I felt depressed because I couldn't see my friends or relatives on a regular basis. For the most part, though, I was determined to not let this slight lack of a social life get to me. My father's illness had affected me internally and externally.

Through all the heartache and struggles, I have not regretted one sacrifice. The way I see it, dealing with my father's illness was hands-on training in the lessons of selflessness. By worrying about him constantly in the beginning and helping care for him later, I was able to step into his shoes and feel a part of his pain. Since my father became sick, I have become much more inspired to put other people's needs before my own. And I can proudly say that I'm a better person for it.

--------
1. Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

Jewel, a fictional series that I have been working on since my junior year of high school, is about a diverse group of college students who can transform into human versions of gemstones in order to fight against evil. When I first started the series, I didn't know how much of a captivating experience creating my characters' collective identities would be.

Since Jewel was obviously going to include heavy references to gemology, the first part of my research revolved around the subject. Over time, the attacks and personalities of the "human gems" became entirely based on what I learned on the Internet about real-life gemstones and the powers and chakras they are associated with. After feeling that my characters' personalities were still lacking depth, I decided to begin the second part of my research. Plenty of websites devoted to personality psychology, particularly those related to the Enneagram and the sixteen Myers-Briggs types, instantly grabbed my attention. My immersion in these websites led me to assign each of my characters four letters and a number!

The effects of my newfound knowledge of gemology and personality psychology have extended beyond Jewel. Now I find myself asking people I know, including myself, what their personality types are and what their favorite gemstone is! My work on Jewel has instilled in me not only a love for the personality, but also an understanding of the fact that each one of us has unique qualities that make us all jewels.

--------
2. Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate-and us-know you better.

Dear Roommate,

I constantly see my life as an evolving television series with a theme song, unique characters, interesting plots, and different scenery. I even have a title for my TV show: Neck of The Woods. Quite fitting for a girl whose last name is Woods, don't you think? Now I know you are probably chuckling while reading this. I don't mind. I've chuckled at this thought as well, considering the fact that I hardly watch TV. Nevertheless, I have to tell you a couple of things about my TV show as a way to tell you a couple of things about myself.

Let's start with the main character: me! I am probably one of the most complex people you will meet in terms of personality. From being an "extraverted introvert" to being simultaneously silly and serious, I am one random individual!

Tune in to my show, and you'd hear background music in almost every scene. When I'm remembering or living out an experience, a favorite song will always play in my head. Lionel Ritchie's "Love Will Conquer All" reminds me of the times I've rode through California's San Fernando Valley at night, and Manhattan Transfer's "Twilight Zone" is playing as I write this letter. My music defines my life.

Roommate, I already know that you will be one of many unique characters in my series. With that said, I cannot wait to meet you in the beautiful scenery that is Stanford!

Sincerely,
Your Amazing Roommate

-----------
3. Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.

From the moment I laid my eyes on the lush campus while arriving for my first college tour, I knew that Stanford was my dream school. This belief only became stronger when my campus visit was over.

For me, looking at Stanford is like looking at a reflection in the mirror. The world-class academics reflect my love for expanding my knowledge, the student body reflects my love for diversity, the location reflects my love for California and the fact that Silicon Valley has many resources that can contribute to a student's learning - I could go on and on about the general reasons why Stanford is the right place for me. What stood out to me the most about Stanford, however, was the Haas Center for Public Service. Stanford is the only college I have heard of that has a facility entirely devoted to community service. As a person who values the betterment of others and who finds joy in doing service work, I find that very unique. Stanford's community service opportunities are yet another reflection in the mirror - a reflection of my love for giving back.

The kind of education I seek is not necessarily one that is restricted to the classroom. Rather, I want an education that opens my mind and pushes me to grow as a person. At Stanford, I know I will find this and much more...
e_bh 1 / 3  
well, there are six in the roommate section. It's really well done, but a few of them (at your discretion) would be fine with just periods.
turntablespp 6 / 41  
WOW your an amazing writer!
My work on Jewel has instilled in me not only a love for the personality, but also an understanding of the fact that each one of us has unique qualities that make us all jewels. loved this line !

"Sincerely,
Your Amazing Roommate"you kind of sound cocky here, maybe you should delete that)

rom the moment I laid my eyes on the lush campus while arriving for my first college tour, I knew that Stanford was my dream school.(cliche, don't you think?)

What stood out to me the most about Stanford, however, was the Haas Center for Public Service.

At Stanford, I know I will find this and much more...

Well done with all your essays!
Can you please read my upenn essay in return :)

Home / Undergraduate / Disabled Daughter + Jewel + Roommate (beautiful scenery) - 3 Stanfords