I was always disappointed by the schools I attended; "Why REED?"

Riyasat 5 / 11  
The Prompt is "why REED". I have tried to show my love of Physics and explain a bit about why REED would be a good fit for me as it is a scholarly place and coincides a lot with my mentality. It is really my dream school. Please help and be honest and frank in criticism. Thank you.

As I was skimming through patches of ideas to write about for various college application essays, my mind kept creeping back to the one-why Reed? And I knew what I would write because the story was screaming inside of me to let out. From eight thousand miles away, the little I could gather about Reed made me belief, it was my dream school.

I was always disappointed by the schools I attended, at least academically. The only thing everybody interested in was grades; no one seemed to care whether the students grasped the topic in its true meaning. Our physics teacher would come in the class and go on and on about why Physics is so hard and boring, and how dire circumstances forced him to study Physics, shockingly most of my peers agreed with him. I felt like the odd one out. How can Physics be boring? It is in fact, extraordinary. The mere thought of the enormity of the Universe is enough to run goose bumps across the body. The world we live in is run by a set of laws and we show no interest to understand and appreciate them? It does not seem right to me. The beauty of the Newtonian mechanics and the elegance of the Relativity coupled with the enigma of the Quantum Mechanics was enough to engross me and encourage me to learn more about the laws that govern this beautiful world. Physics, to me is not just an academic subject; it is the pursuit of the truth of our existence and our surroundings.

While learning, the 'why's always fascinated me more than the 'how's. While most in my class would simply 'learn' the equations, cram the theory and solve the problems, I would be up at night trying to fathom what makes an equation tick? What does it really represent? I would always try to get an intuitive grasp of the subject-it was my passion. I am more interested about the origin of the Universe, our coming into being, the working of the world, than about building a talking Robot. They of course are important, but I would gladly let someone else build them. Reed is a community where I feel thinking and creativity precedes just learning materials-it is the place where true intellectuals thrive. This is the type of place I have dreamed of my entire life; where I would meet fellow curious minds to share my curiosities with; where an intellectual and scholarly perspective of thinking would be deemed 'cool' instead of 'awkward'. I hope to finally join this community. I see myself already sharing insights with my fellow freshmen, may be operating the famous Reed Research Reactor if I have the chance and indulging into a community of scholars.
GokuKetchum 3 / 18  
Really nice story/subject. Just work on your grammar, spelling errors, and such.
tylermk96 3 / 5  
Really a great story, I feel like your grammar and spelling could use some help, for example:

Spell check belief- I think you mean believe and the comma afterwards doesn't need to be there.

I'd also like to add that I'm a huge Physics buff too and that I find your essay personally intriguing and relatable. Just be sure to proof read!! :D
From eight thousand miles away, the little I could gather about Reed made me beliefbelieve(no comma) it was my dream school

no one seemed to care whether the students grasped the topic in its true meaning.

no one seemed to care whether students understand the concepts and fundamentals of what they learn.

Our physics teacher would come in the class and go on and on about why Physics is so hard and boring, and how dire circumstances forced him to study Physics, shockingly most of my peers agreed with him.

I feel this is a bit of a harsh criticism. It sounds a bit personal too. It may create some bad impression on your attitude too :(

Home / Undergraduate / I was always disappointed by the schools I attended; "Why REED?"