"The discerning words of My Parents" - a person who has made impact in your life

Olaoluwa 4 / 6  
The discerning words of My Parents

I have always viewed my parents as a single person, a force driving me towards academic success. Saying that my parents have had an impact on my life is merely an understatement of the things they have done for me. My parents influenced my decisions throughout my secondary education.

Before starting my secondary education, my parents gave me various classes of speeches. They advised me not to waste the opportunity I had because they did not have the luxury of going to a high classed school when they were much younger. They believed that I had academic potential and if I was able to effectively utilize my opportunities, I would be catapulted to unimaginable heights.

Still just in my junior year in high school, I viewed their continuous advices as overzealous and extravagant. My junior was full of academic excellence. I was able to attain eleven distinctions in my NECO examinations (a national examination taking by students in year 9). My parents were proud of me but didn't give me any form of preferential treatment. Instead they advised not to relent in my efforts. I was disappointed because I expected some material form of appreciation from my parents but didn't get any. I began to think that my parents would never be motivated by anything I do.

I later started my senior year and I slowly began to do things that they had warned me not to do. I misplaced my priorities and lost sight of that which was important. As a result, there was a drop in my academic grades and became slightly unserious. This was the period of my life when I started experiencing difficulties because I failed to heed to my parents' words. My life continued this way until the day my parents came to visit me at school. I told my parents about my unsatisfying academic grades and other problems I had been experiencing. My parents yet again granted me their words of wisdom. They told me that whatever I did then would determine my future.

I willingly heeded to their advice which led to positive changes in my life. I wrote my final exams and attained credits in all my subjects. Once again, my parents were proud but didn't expect any appraisal from them. This was because it was them who deserved to be praised. Without their guidance, I wouldn't have gotten good grades in my final exam.

My parents' initial extravagant advices have now become my guide. Most of the decisions I make today are greatly influenced by my parents. I no longer view my parents only as people who merely care for me but also as two parallel forces gradually leading me to my ultimate success.
I have always viewed my parents as a single person, a force driving me towards academic success.

interesting!!

Add one more sentence to that first paragraph to establish this notion of a "person" comprised of your parents. It is a good idea!

Before I started my secondary education, my parents gave me various classes of speeches.

As a result, there was a drop in my academic grades as I began to lack seriousness.

Once again, my parents were proud, but I didn't expect any praise from them.

This was because it was them who deserved to be praised. --- very good! Without their guidance, I wouldn't have gotten good grades in my final exam.

At the end, talk again about the single "person" that your parents represent in their role as a guide for you.

I like this essay!
donrocks 5 / 120  
First of all thank you for answering to my essay.
OK.
1) Your first line is extremely strong that it leaves a effect.
2) I am failing to understand from this essay what have you learnt as a person....specific.
3) your essay is lacking that of soul of parent child conflict and then solution. What was your frustration pls state and also what you told your parents and how you reached an understanding.

4)If your parents yet again granted words of wisdom then why did you listen. What made you change?
The problem is content is not showing the complete picture or its a fake.( Please don't mind it personally because its your essay what i feel is saying to me because it leaves many questions unanswered. )

Hoping it helps... Best of luck. ;)

Home / Undergraduate / "The discerning words of My Parents" - a person who has made impact in your life