I discovered the art of filmmaking. MSU Personal Statement

tumblr 1 / 1  
"Describe an experience, passion, or characteristic that illustrates what you would contribute to the MSU community and how this will add to the overall richness of campus life." (up to 400 words)

Michigan State University Personal Statement

I believe that art is expressed in various ways, whether it's through a paintbrush, music, or simply words on a piece of paper. I believe that art can give you a sense of freedom; a feeling that there's so much that is yet to be discovered and unveiled. I've never possessed these feelings until I discovered the art of filmmaking.

I've been intrigued with movies for as long as I can remember, not even considering what it was like to work behind the scenes. But as soon as I picked up my camera and created my first film, I was completely immersed. I began to imagine different ways of telling a single story; I began to think outside of the box; I began to see things more differently than I ever have before.

My passion for creating film has helped me grow as a person. I now see possibilities and opportunities everywhere; I seek new ways of doing things and approaching situations. As an MSU student, I plan sharing my ideas with others in attempt to inspire those around me.

**I was really stuck on how to answer the question. I think I have the idea, but I know I'm not the strongest essay writer and have no idea what to add to it. It sounds really short to me as well. Please be as honest as possible, I really want to get in. Thank you.
MT1 1 / 5 1  
... a sense of freedom and expression ; a feeling that there's so muchof untapped potential that is yet to be ...
I'vehad never possessed these feelings before until I discovered ...

You answered the first part of this question well when talking about a passion of yours. I would say to give examples of your work or explain further why you love filmmaking as much as you do. For the second part of this question, talk about how this will help you in your campus life at MSU. Maybe you can join clubs and focus on filmmaking, help out with any productions at MSU, etc. You need to explain how it will enrich your campus life. Use this information to complete the rest of your essay.
OP tumblr 1 / 1  
How about...

I believe that art is expressed in (...)
I had never possessed these feelings before until I discovered the art of filmmaking.

As a child, I was extremely antisocial and often kept to myself. I had no friends and no close siblings. The only thing that kept me sane was watching films. I loved everything: from documentaries to skits to cartoons. Film became more advanced as technology advanced, which, of course, only made it more intriguing. I began to jot down film ideas and begged my mom to buy me a camera for my 15th birthday, where it all began.

As soon as I picked up my camera and created my first film, I was completely immersed. I began to imagine different ways of telling a single story; I began to think outside of the box; I began to see things more differently than I ever have before. I want the films I make in the future to touch people's hearts; I want them to cry, laugh and smile. The medium of film holds a lot of meaning to me and I hope to build on my skills at MSU.

My passion for creating film [...] attempt to inspire those around me. I also wish to join the MSU Filmmakers Club and participate in the competitive film contests they host annually.
Anaija, consider film making as the focal point of your talent that you wish to share with the student community. Think about how this can help you enhance the life of those on campus. Describe how you make films. What inspires you or what your passion is that drives you to make films. Have you ever shot films of your friends or classmates just to make a nonsensical or fun video to present to them? You know, do you make films to help your friends relax, get to know each other better, or even, just to allow them a venue where they can express themselves? Think along those lines for an example that you can present in this essay. Describe how film making, not as an art form, but rather, as a venue for developing friendships or improving the overall student relationship in the community will be your contribution to the MSU community. That is how this essay should be approached. Share an example of how film making helped you with your friends and then share how you hope to do something similar as an MSU student.

Home / Undergraduate / I discovered the art of filmmaking. MSU Personal Statement