Discovering new secrets of NATURE AND WILDLIFE. Statement of Purpose - New York University

amanrcb 1 / -  
Was it Jane Goodall's "In the Shadow of Man that changed my mind"? Was it the world science day (February 28th)? Was it my high school science teacher who revealed the truth about endangered species, habitat loss, acid rain, and ozone layer depletion?

When I look back and try to pin down the moment when I started to see the things differently, too many events come to mind. I know that it did not happen in one day. From the time I saw Priyanka Gandhi talk on deforestation and our ecological footprint, to the time I witnessed the marvels such as eagles, fishing dolphins, with their young's ,even the grace of a lion appearing in forest. But there all lessons have not been pleasant. I realized that I neede to do more than merely a recycle cola bottles, avoid aerosol cans and make sure that all people on earth are happy. I realized I need to do more.

This process of discovery began in my village, where I was in primary school, I would always wonder that how chameleon changes color, why butterflies are so beautiful, how spider forms web? These all rhetoric curiosities fascinates me to learn that such organisms,large or small is made up of organs which are made of tissues, made up of cells which are in turn made of membranes and proteins and atoms.my studies of both biology and chemistry as well as several scientific magazines helped me a lot to discover about my subject. I know there is much more to discover at graduate level and perhaps in research career after that. It is that knowledge that there is always something new to discover that keeps me motivated in all that I do my interest in biology was always a real world interest is likewise driven by the immediacy of the subject,the vital role it plays in our day to day lives and its implications for our planet earth.

My passion for biology is supported by my other studies ;chemistry helps me to visualize the compounds described in many biological reaction,while physics helped me to evaluate problems in a more analytically and in a more logical way.another subject I am passionate about is English ,it fascinates me to look at languages in a scientific way,as if they are living organisms start off with a common ancestor and over time they develop and evolve ,branching off into completely separate categories with complex structures and cultural adaptions.

This subject also helps me to understand the biological terms rather than just memorizing them.the extra curricular psychology and physical education which I study and these subjects helping me to tackle emotional, health and behavioral problems I undertook a research project during the summer on "red blood cells and its comparison with other cells"at Aligarh muslim University,Aligarh india which enhanced my mature academic understanding in my subject biology.

In my school I undertook a research on "Empty Nest Syndrome in Psychology,analyse the case study and drew out the conclusion as to how modernization materialism can lead to empty nest syndrome .i also undertook a research work on "polyhydroxyalkanoates"in chemistry,using a wide variety of equipment to investigate that how we can decompose non biodegradable plastics with the help of a small bacteria Bacillis subtillis I enjoyed the opportunity to put into practice in the research work what I'd learnt in the classroom,an opportunity look forward to expanding on at university.these research work develops my skills of scientific writing and research in order to prepare me for litearary reviews and research projects during my bachelor programe.

My academic experience in VidyaGyan thus far has provided me with a wide range of practical knowledge and skills that will be immensely useful when studying overseas at the undergraduate level. As a high school student, I excelled in courses allied to biology, physics, and chemistry.In addition to the courses that I have taken, I have been very active outside of the classroom, participating in extracurricular activities and pursuing new experiences so as to push myself and broaden my horizons. I took some time to travel across Delhi,Mumbai,Ahmedabad and other spaces an experience which, although at times difficult, ultimately made me a much more independent and confident person. I am now comfortable adapting to new situations and interacting with people who are different from me.

Furthermore, in my grade 10th I was selected as one of the 5 students who went to nearby city to teach elders and children which has boosted my communication and leadership skills. This experience offered me, what I most value is my newfound understanding of the importance of service and helping those in need. Finally, in the High school, I was the HEAD BOY of VidyaGyan School, a role I took on in order to meet new people and learn a new range of skills. An intelligent, extraordinary student, I got a CGPA of 9 and 10 in my grade 10th and 11th respectively. My continuous efforts in the field of community services and academic arena gained me prestigious BEST STUDENT of the year twice. My leaderships qualities were assessed which helps me to win 2 continous elections by becoming HOUSE CAPTAIN in 2014 and by head boy in the year 2015. I am also a A-certificate holder of NCC which adds another feather in my cap to build my leadership skills.School has given me a chance to represent my school at international forum at a youth summit organized by DOON school in which I performed with my full loyalty and passion. My school given me a chance to participate in "design for change program" in Ahmedabad which assisted me in the development of my leadership skills, teamwork and communication skills.

Biology is a subject which I find exciting, this subject explain life itself from microscopic level to macroscopic level .i would love the oppurtinity to discover and explore the plethora of biology available to me at New York university abu dhabi .biology is rooted in my nerves ,in my blood and have no doubts as to the level of dedication ,I could bring to the course.i hope that you will consider me for a place at your university ,I sincerely believe that I would be well suited to this discipline ,as I am determined ,curious and focused student. When I thought back when I was a small child watching chameleon changing colour ,spider making web it reminds me with the immense pleasure and excitement to consider that in under a year I could be studying biological sciences and on my way to becoming a researcher campus which is well equipped with well advanced research technologies and magnificent faculty ratio which is forcing me to look forward to your university and I am sure that this university will help me to explore new ideas and researches.

My long term goal for the future will be, plan to take what I learn in the USA and apply it, in my native country INDIA. Biological sciences industry is rapidly growing and shows great prospective and future aspects, yet compared to other advanced countries, in India it is still in its relative sprouting juncture. I am convinced that my participation in your bachelor program will give me thorough education and excellent research experience, which will advance me on the way to my dream-discovering new secrets of NATURE AND WILDLIFE.....
Aman, the first question that your statement of purpose should answer is "Why Biology?" Since you are writing this statement of purpose for undergraduate studies, your line of discussion development will be altered a bit from that of a masters degree student. I hope that you will take note of the guidelines that I will be providing you in order to shorten your essay. We need to make it short but relevant for your application.

Let's start with the first paragraph. In this section, you should open with the idea behind your desire to study biology. This is the one time that showing how your interest in biology started from childhood will actually help your application. Show the reviewer how you first came in contact with Biology and what fascinated you about it.

In the second paragraph, indicate what your plans are for your future that tie in with Biology. Do you plan on taking the career a step higher and take the MSAT so that you can become a doctor in the future? Or perhaps you wish to work in a laboratory as a biologist? What would your concentration be as a scientist with a degree in Biology? This is the purpose part of your statement so you have to be very clear about it.

In the third paragraph, you should present any research that you did as a high school student. I can see that you have some research to present, but these relate more to chemistry and psychology. While these are alright to present to the reviewer, it would be better for your paper if you actually have a project study related to Biology to present.

The fourth paragraph should show off your academic accomplishments, but without the reference to being the Head Boy. This particular discussion deviates from the prompt topic and as such, is unnecessary to present. Focus only on Biology because that is the major that you hope to be accepted in by the university.

The final paragraph, should explain why you have chosen NYU as your first option for your studies in Biology. Explain what it is about a NYU education that you will not experience, academically, at any other U.S. university. Reiterate your desire to enter the university during the upcoming term and repeat the information that you plan to take these information to your home country upon graduation.

Home / Undergraduate / Discovering new secrets of NATURE AND WILDLIFE. Statement of Purpose - New York University