Do UC's discriminate based on what career i say i want to pursue in my essay?

nogasa 14 / 37  
I want to pursue a career in law enforcement, and more particularly a career in the FBI or other federal level agency, but I don't know if that is something i should put down in my essay. I was thinking that i'd like to be a lawyer too, but it's still just a close second. To be honest, i'm still not one hundred percent sure what i'd like to be, but still, what should i do about the essay?
pheelyks - / 19  
The number of people who change their majors and their career plans during college is huge--I don't know the exact figure, but if I remember right from a few years ago it was well over half of all students. Admissions officers know this. If you said your ambition was to become a couch potato, they might view that negatively, but I don't think they'll consider more legitimate career options too heavily, if at all.

That being said, if you're passionate about wanting to become either an FBI agent or a lawyer--or both--it would be an excellent topic to write about. You could even talk about your uncertainty, explaining what aspects of your personality draw you to these two separate careers. Telling them you want to be a lawyer will not improve your chances of getting in, however, nor would telling them you want to be a cop hurt you.

Home / Undergraduate / Do UC's discriminate based on what career i say i want to pursue in my essay?