Discuss why you want to study engineering and why DUKE? - DUKE supplement

dkjonny 1 / -  
(For Engineering Applicants Only) If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke.

The Following Questions Are Required For Engineering And Transfer Applicants. Please Limit Your Response To One To Three Paragraphs.

It is difficult for many Americans to grasp the dangers of impure drinking water. While our tap water is clean, for more than a billion people in the world this is not the case. During my recent trip to Nicaragua with my Global Glimpse delegation, I was no longer able to take this for granted. In Leon, the hottest city in Central America, we had to observe strict water consumption rules; we were allowed to use tap water only for showers and washing our hands. We had to purchase purified bottled water for hydration and brushing our teeth. This lesson was reinforced dramatically when my delegation visited the La Isla community where many locals suffer from kidney disease as a result of chronic dehydration. Most of the people work in the sugar cane fields, lack access to clean water, and must drink water that is contaminated with lime.

Returning from Nicaragua, I frequently asked myself, "What can I do?" and "What has been done so far?" I have become especially interested in sustainable technology, such as the LifeStraw, which is designed to filter up to 1000 liters of water over its lifetime. The simplicity and effectiveness of this inexpensive device have led to its great global impact, and technological innovations of this sort have inspired me to pursue a career in engineering. I hope with a degree in engineering, I will be able to contribute to the benefit of society at the local, national, and global levels.

Research on sustainable engineering solutions led me to discover the Duke Engineers for International Development (DEID) program, where students have taken initiative to start projects in water purification and distribution as part of their commitment to community development. Both the DEID and Engineers without Borders (EWB) programs give students opportunities to plan and implement sustainable engineering projects throughout the world in underprivileged communities. Through participation in these programs, I hope to meet other students and faculty members who share my mission: improving the living conditions of others.

Duke also offers students a great variety of study abroad programs and international working opportunities through its Global Education for Undergraduates program, which would allow me (expand my learning beyond the classroom) (continue learning in my summers) to pass my summers more productively. Most importantly, an engineering education from Pratt will provide me with a thorough preparation for graduate study, and I will be better equipped to participate meaningfully as an active global citizen. From hands-on learning experiences to joining engineering projects, I look forward to the challenges the Pratt School of Engineering has to offer.

In addition to Duke's academic curricula, I wish to participate in Duke's balanced and enriching student lifestyle. I want to immerse myself in Duke culture, work hard, and have fun. As an avid basketball fan, I will take full advantage of Duke's contagious school spirit, paint my chest blue, and scream myself hoarse in support of the Blue Devils. I will also be able to participate in Best Buddies, an organization that has been crucial to my personal growth during high school. Likewise I have a passion for Legos, and I look forward to attending the BrickFlix Film Festival and the BrickMagic Lego Convention in Durham. I believe that Duke is the perfect fit for me and provides me with the best opportunities for personal, social, and academic growth.
While our tap water is clean, for more than a billion people in the world this is not the case.

While our tap water is clean, it may not be so for more than a billion people living in other parts of this planet.

During my recent trip to Nicaragua with mythe Global Glimpse delegation,

There are too many "my"s .... :D

I will be able to contribute to the benefit of the society at the local, national, and global levels.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
It is difficult for many Americans to grasp the dangers of impure drinking water.

... So true... :D

I think it is better to say it like this.
While our tap water is clean, it is not so for more than a billion people around the world.

Research on sustainable engineering solutions led me to discover the Duke Engineers for International Development (DEID) program, where students have taken initiative to start projects in water purification and distribution as part of their commitment to community development.

I like the way you built it up to this point.
I like the way you write. It has a natural flow to it. And I like the way you have presented your arguments and examples. It is a good essay. :)

Home / Undergraduate / Discuss why you want to study engineering and why DUKE? - DUKE supplement