Diversity, my different background - UM diversity esssay

immefrank 1 / 1  
[A] "We know that diversity makes us a better university - better for learning, for teaching, and for conducting research."
(U-M President Mary Sue Coleman)
Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment
on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

Answer:

At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.

------Nietzsche

My background naturally keeps me different. I would have different insights on an academic subject, work hard to achieve goals that wouldn't interest my classmates, or simply act differently, and my American background didn't help in my school filled with native Chinese. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I didn't want to feel different, so I adopted to fit in. It wasn't until I became truly adapted to the Chinese culture did I see that my differences were bridged, but not diminished. The differences are part of being who I am. I am respected for what I have brought to my community, and I am proud to be unique.

Diversity isn't about being different from others, either in race, ethnicity, socio-economic class, or behavior. Diversity is about ideas and thoughts. When you work your way into a community, you are helping that community obtain a new perspective, understand things in a different way , and you are doing this by adding your identity into their culture, and helping to reshape what it means to be a part of their culture. These are the benefits that my diversity has brought to my community, and could be brought to The University of Michigan.

Is it okay if I use a quote? I think it worked quite well with my essay.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Using a quote is generally okay, although Nietzsche, proponent of the uber-mensch, may not be the best choice for a diversity essay.

This is a good start, but you may have misunderstood the question. Michigan wants to know not that you will bring diversity to the campus but, rather, that you have learned to value diversity and will appreciate the diversity you find on campus. Diversity in the way that UM is using the word does indeed include differences in race, ethnicity, socio-economic class, etc. That school makes a specific effort, for example, to draw its out-of-state students from every part of the US (as well as other countries) and from both rural and urban areas specifically because they believe that students are best served by coming into contact with people from the widest variety of backgrounds. If you want to argue that diversity goes beyond such things, that's fine. But you should also show that you know you will be broadened by contact with people whose life experiences have been very different than your own and that you accept the fact that, at least under current socioeconomic conditions, factors like race, class, and disability do significantly impact what life experiences people tend to have.

It's great that you had the experience of being the only American in an otherwise all Chinese school. This opens up the opportunity for you to say that just as your classmates at that school gained from the diversity you brought, you expect to gain from the diversity you will encounter at U-M.
krisdp25 4 / 20  
start the first line saying
"Naturally, my background keeps me different."
tal105 7 / 130  
omg im applying there too!!
good luck! this essay is kicking me in the bootay!! (i guess it shouldnt since im two different nationalities and i could write about that, but my essays are SUCKING)

i dont think you should use the quote. i think you should tell about yourself. esp since your not explaining the quote in the essay esp since the essay is 250 words or menos.

good luck!
mathsam 7 / 23  
immefrank
"my school filled with native Chinese"
Really? Why?

In fact, I'm from China and preparing for GRE to further my education in US.
OP immefrank 1 / 1  
Thanks for the advice.

Home / Undergraduate / Diversity, my different background - UM diversity esssay