Diversity and Involvement/ Northwestern; Uniqueness

Lollifroll 2 / 5  
Prompt:
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Response
Diversity.

It's a concept tried and true for many institutions to have in this day in age and in my opinion is necessary to learn. I come from a campus that offers its students so much variety, from the clubs they participate in to the class they take. I could be in an AP Psychology class and take Wildlife Science and be in the Power Rangers Club, as well as an array of other combinations of activities and academics. I am currently an officer in my school's Associated Student Body, SADD, Red Cross Club, and Roots and Shoots. It is through this diversity that I have become a leader confident in myself and in my conviction. I had to learn to that outside forces have just as much effect on a situation, as the person affecting it does. I had to learn to trust others with helping me take on tasks, as well as doing work on my own. Leadership is the art of dealing with the diversity of situation and I believe Northwestern has the diversity that can allow me to continue forward.

I am deeply interested in their Student Government Association as well as their University American Red Cross Club and even their Ultimate Frisbee Club. Involvement is the key. It puts people in these opportunities they are offered. I hope to become as integrated as I can as a freshmen. In high school, I did not begin my involvement until my Junior year and I regret it deeply. I want to end my tenure at Northwestern as being a strong participant in the university's culture.

In addition the creative writing program at the School of Communication is my beacon to Northwestern. It provides its participants a diverse portfolio of two screenplays, a playwright, and a script. This variety in writing rewards its students through experience and having material to present for when they go off to pursue their careers, substance which can only benefit them, as well demonstrating they have a veritable palate of writing skills. I feel only excitement knowing that I can bring diversity to not only my career, but hopefully those who I may be able to teach and help expand their horizons.

I believe that when we are offered diversity, we are able to grow and expand, when I am given apples and oranges, I can make more than just lemonade and I believe Northwestern provides this opportunity to the fullest.
shmegg 7 / 26 1  
Diversity.

It's a concept tried and true for many institutions to have in this day in age and in my opinion is necessary to learn. I come from a campus that offers its students so much variety, from the clubs they participate in to the class they take. I could be in an AP Psychology class and take Wildlife Science and be in the Power Rangers Club, as well as an array of other combinations of activities and academics. I am currently an officer in my school's Associated Student Body, SADD, Red Cross Club, and Roots and Shoots. It is through this diversity that I have become a leader confident in myself and in my conviction. I had to learn to that outside forces have just as much effect on a situation (no comma) as the person affecting it does. I had to learn to trust others withwhen helping me take on tasks, as well as doing work on my own. Leadership is the art of dealing with the diversity of situation and I believe Northwestern has the diversity that can allow me to continue forward.

I believe that when we are offered diversity, we are able to grow and expand, when I am given apples and oranges, I can make more than just lemonade (you cant make lemonade from apples and oranges..?) and I believe Northwestern provides this opportunity to the fullest.
OP Lollifroll 2 / 5  
I see your point on the last part, so I changed the analogy a bit, but should I just drop it?

"I believe that when we are offered diversity, we are able to grow and expand. When I am given a whole fruit basket over just lemons, I can make more than just lemonade and I believe Northwestern provides me this opportunity to the fullest. "

Home / Undergraduate / Diversity and Involvement/ Northwestern; Uniqueness