'Divorced parents and the average Joe' - Stanford - Intellectual vitality

taboriginal 2 / 11  
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.

When I was little, I was a pirate. And a princess. And a superhero. I was all of the countless characters whose stories I would immerse myself in for hours on end, lost in a flurry of pages and worlds full of possibilities. These stories made me realize that I can do anything.

As a powerless kid with divorced parents who were always fighting, I spent most of my time in books, where the hero always gets a happily ever after. What was fantasy to some became reality to me. Every aspect of my life became a commitment to excellence, a will to succeed, a desire to create my happy ending. I resolved to never again feel powerless and to help those who did. Books inspired me to dream of a future where I can give others a voice that they otherwise would not have.

In a world of big money politics, it is hard for the average American to be heard in government. But in a country that governs by the people, for the people, and with the will and consent of the people, someone needs to be the hero and voice for the Average Joe, who feels more disillusioned each day. I want to be that hero. Protecting the principles of the Constitution as a lawyer or judge is my dream and life's goal. If this were a book, I would fly in, cape flapping in the wind, and defeat the enemy that is the metaphorical injustice in government.

Unfortunately, life is not a comic and I, tragically, cannot fly. I wish I could be a costumed crusader fighting crime in the streets, but I realize that I do not have any special powers except for a mind full of knowledge and a heart full of passion for what the Founders envisioned for their country.

Giving a voice to millions of Americans as a lawyer or judge seems like a tall order, but if a hero can triumph against all odds, then so can I. Fiction, fantastic as it is, cannot even begin to describe what a determined girl is capable of.

I may end up wearing a suit to work instead of leather and latex, but that does not mean I cannot be a superhero.

I really appreciate you looking at my essay and will return the favor. However, I really need help on my "what matters to you, and why" essay and would again really appreciate it if you looked at that one. Thank you!
sarahbee 1 / 49  
wow...i really, really like your essay. i think its refreshing and original. although the topic of books( and how they influence you) has been done a lot, i think the way you approached it is well done.
yuanyuan3045 6 / 23  
I really love your essay, your determination and passion shows through. However, you do make assumptions that no everyone will agree with, such as "In a world of big money politics, it is hard for the average American to be heard in government. But in a country that governs by the people, for the people, and with the will and consent of the people, someone needs to be the hero and voice for the Average Joe, who feels more disillusioned each day." This is only a suggestion, and you don't have to change anything.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Divorced parents and the average Joe' - Stanford - Intellectual vitality