'doctor at evaluations, treatments and training' - Physical Therapy Application Essay

nodeal 1 / -  
I'm writing this for my PTCAS application, which asks you to write an essay on why you want to pursue a career in Physical Therapy. Here is what I wrote. Please critique :)

"Five-foot eight, one-hundred and eight pounds", said my primary care physician, looking bewildered as he read off my measurements from my chart during my yearly check-up, some 12 long years ago. The repulsed look he gave me, which I knew was in reaction to my dramatic lankiness and gaunt physique, made me feel defeated and trapped in my own body. I always ate plenty and was as active as the next 13-year old boy, so why did I remain so thin and frail looking? With this question ripe in my mind, an interest in the human body began to take a hold of me.

I began vigorous research, attempting to learn about the functions of the human body and how it is impacted by nutrition and exercise. Applying what I learned, I formulated a diet and exercise regimen and began to see a dramatic change in my physique in a short period of time. Seeing my own body respond and adapt in such a positive way opened my eyes to the beauty and complexity contained within my own anatomy and physiology. As a result, I not only desired to gain a deeper understanding of the human body, but I began to gain an overwhelming respect for it as well.

This budding passion for human biology is what led me to consider physical therapy as a career choice. Looking for valuable experience, I decided to sign up with a local PT office for a volunteer position. I knew this would be tough, as I was already working full time as a Lead Inventory Specialist at the retail store Best Buy, heading a team that was responsible for shipping, receiving, unloading trailers, stocking shelves and keeping up with the maintenance of the store. In addition, I was finishing up my Bachelor's degree in English while simultaneously completing prerequisite math and science courses. However, I knew the hardship of a hectic schedule would be well worth the experience I'd gain in a PT office.

I was given the opportunity to observe the doctor during evaluations, treatments and trainings. This allowed me to ask him questions and pick his brain throughout the entire process. In doing so, I realized how many of the principles and habits I had learned and adopted through my personal experience in fitness and nutrition held such meaningful relevance in the world of physical therapy. I saw how the hope, passion, and determination I cultivated in order to transform my own body through diet and exercise is the same sentiment that must be instilled in the stroke patient attempting to lift his arm, or the knee-replacement patient trying to do a full revolution on the stationary bicycle. I also discovered how in order to obtain optimum results, it was necessary to educate patients on how to care for their bodies in their entirety, not just a specific site of injury or ailment.

Responsibilities such as encouraging a healthy diet, correcting bad postural habits, and enforcing a willingness to engage in physical activity are an important part of a physical therapist's job, and are crucial in developing a patient's sense of respect towards their own body. This respect creates an attitude that motivates patients to care for themselves in an effective manner, becoming self-sufficient beings not only capable of rehabilitation, but also more importantly capable of sustaining a lifestyle that keeps personal health and wellness as a primary concern well after they leave the office. Based on my experience, this appeared to be a key in long-term rehabilitative success, and thanks to volunteering I was able to realize this crucial component in the process of physical therapy.

The knowledge I gained from my experience in both my own physical endeavors and in volunteering has helped me clarify goals that I wish to achieve once I enter the realm of physical therapy. I wish to instill hope and provide relief for the patient, teaching them a thing or two about their body in the process. If I can succeed in this process, then I will be one of those rare individuals who are fully satisfied with and fulfilled by their career. Realizing these goals at this early of a stage in my academic career, I believe I have a great deal of potential that can be harnessed once I obtain the tools and know-how that a quality education can provide me with. It is this potential that I hope to one day unleash into the medical field, providing patients with not just relief, but empowering them with hope and knowledge as well.
Leah_Writer - / 46 4  
I love the story at the beginning! It really provides a personal connection. However, I'm not sure about "ripe in my mind" as a phrase--it sounds odd to me, and a bit jarring. Overall, I think you spend a bit too much time discussing what a physical therapist has to do, and I would encourage you to continue to connect that to yourself, as you do in the first paragraph. Don't forget, the admissions committee wants to learn about you, so the more you can connect to yourself, the better off you'll be. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'doctor at evaluations, treatments and training' - Physical Therapy Application Essay