What have you done to serve others around you? Global Undergraduate Exchange Program

vietdung 1 / -  
I'm applying for UGRAD this year. Could you please check my essay? i would be truly grateful. feel free to comment or give me some advice about this.

Essay Choice C: Martin Luther King Jr. said "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others? Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment you know how, you begin to die a little." What have you done to serve others around you? What is the next thing you imagine doing for your community?

***
This quote has become a verity in our daily life. Martin Luther King Jr. did gave us an ideology beyond of his time.
By our time, the human race has taken a tremendous step in the way of development. We nearly find out how to fight fatal disease like cancer or HIV. Last decade is the era of smartphone and social network. Moreover, human race has started to send people to settle in Mars. But at the same time we face up with such problems as terrorist, starvation, illiteracy, lack of fresh water, polluted air and deadly viruses that keep on spreading all around the world. Reality shows us almost 86% of the whole world's property belongs to 10% of our population. And so that, while someone in Europe is having black caviar in his dinner, a child in Africa have to suffer from hunger day after day. Why cannot we realize the truth right now? Why cannot we help who are really in need? Everyone may change a little this small world for better.

To my mind each is able to help others. It does not mean to give away everything you got. Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love. A few months ago, Vietnam suffered a coldest season in the history. Many people especially children in highlands where even does not have electricity had to struggle for their family. They all need help. Together with my friends we joined a volunteer club named "Big Hugs" of our school. We gathered food, clothes and other essential things from everyone in our school, took a trip and personally handed them to highlands resident. For me, that 2-day trip brought me about so much happiness. That moment when a child receive the gift from us and tell me: "Thanks...ugly...but it is so warm" always stay in my heart. I feel it is my honor to help people around me.

Another a good thing I have in my mind and want to do is to organize a blood donation club. Blood donation not only help us improve our condition but also important to others life. As I know, a healthy person who give blood one time could save three others people. Just imagine, if everyone donates twice a year, how many people will survive through critical condition related to anemia. Although this idea is not a new one, but I myself think it is always necessary. We can even establish a "blood - donation" festival, which contains live music, party, free cinema, etc,.. to encourage people come and share their heart.

To sum up, I just want to quote a saying from a famous English politician:
"Happiness... Consists in giving, and in serving others".
Dinh, it is really nice of you to be able to help those in need within your community during their hour of helplessness. That is a good trait for any person to have. It shows a caring side of you that recognizes that you are responsible for your neighbors even if you do not know them personally. However, the civic activity that you chose to discuss as a response to this essay ix lacking in a personal connection.

When you stop to consider the statement of MLK, Jr., you will come to understand that he is not asking you about a one time contribution to society. Nor is he asking you to consider just helping your fellowman only when he needs help. The discussion that your response should contain must cover a regular socio-civic activity that you already engage in. Based upon your current socio-civic volunteer activity, you should be able to project or develop an idea as to how you plan to continue participating in your community service for the continued benefit of the members of the town. Basically, you should present an activity and discussion that you can quite possibly continue to pursue as a college student overseas as part of the exchange program. Anything from volunteering to visit the elderly, or assisting with Habitat for Humanity are possible future activities that you can participate in which can continue to benefit towns and communities whether locally or internationally.

Home / Undergraduate / What have you done to serve others around you? Global Undergraduate Exchange Program