DOUBLE MAJOR ART AND BUSINESS--U of M

shquo 3 / 5  
This is still a first draft, and I'm turning this in tomorrow!!! Please help correct/comment/completely destroy this essay!

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

The University of Michigan hit me like a shock of blue and maize light to the face. People say that when you are in love, you just know. Well I think that when you find the right college, you just know. And believe me, I know that U of M is the right college.

The University of Michigan's School of Art and Design is nothing short of perfect for me. I come from a line of artists--my grandfather was a pastry chef, my father a self-taught auto-mechanic, and my mother a do-it-yourself fixer-upper by every definition. Although my self-portraits looked like mutated potatoes until about last year, I could name the use of each wrench in my father's beaten-up toolbox by the age of six. Many drill bits, rolls of fabric, and honed mechanical skills since then, I have embarked on artistic endeavors that allow me to confidently say that I am ready to major in art.

The strong art program is not the only aspect that drew me to this university, however. U of M's BA/BBA dual degree program caught my eye and my interests as I browsed the university's website. I was introduced to business at a young age, as my uncle built chain of plumbing supply stores years before I was born. Because both entrepreneurial and artistic skills seem to run in my family, a marrying of the two would fit me like an Michigan-made glove.

I was sure that U of M was the perfect school when I realized that I had not only heard of some faculty members, but have looked up to them for years. I would be completely and utterly dumbfounded if I were to learn under Professor David Chung, whose artwork I first discovered while taking classes at Academy of Art University. His combination of different mediums, his 2001 black and white installation Stripmall, and his focus on Asian heritage takes me aback even after two, three, six, and fifty-six viewings of his work.

The element of U of M that sealed the deal for me was Professor Tom P. Lyon. I recall his name and his stance on sustainable technology from two classes: AP United States History, as a guest speaker lectured about policy, and AP Environmental Science, as we learned about sustainable business models. I would love to learn from Professor Lyon, to hear his innovative ideas right from the source. I hope to someday implement my knowledge into a business that can be passed down to future generations--a business that mixes my passion for art, my interest in environmental science, and my expected business skills.

My first reaction to U of M was one of awe at a picture found online. I saw its rustic building encompassed by a slew of orange and red leaves and thought, "You don't see that everyday in San Francisco," but I wished I did. The beauty of the school, the strength of the academics, and the array of esteemed professors makes U of M the perfect school. Like I said: when you know, you just know.
Aleage12 3 / 27  
Many drill bits, rolls of fabric, and honed mechanical skills since then, I have embarked on artistic endeavors that allow me to confidently say that I am ready to major in art.

(I don't quite understand the beginning of this sentence, and how it links to what you are saying)

dual degree program caught my eye and sparked my interests as

uncle built a chain

an Michigan-made glove

but I wished I did

love your essay, hope these suggestions help - and your beginning "when you know, you know" was pretty much how I felt about Stanford. I laughed when I read it because thats pretty much exactly how I was going to start mine- only talking about friendship instead of love- good luck!!
ailibai 8 / 21  
And believe me, I know that U of M is the right college.
I would take that part out; it seems too informal?

a marriage of the two would fit me like a Michigan-made glove.

I really like this! It shows that you know exactly why you want Michigan, and that you've done your research. It shows who you are, too. Good job!

Home / Undergraduate / DOUBLE MAJOR ART AND BUSINESS--U of M