double or single-spaced & attach my resume? - Application Questions...

Kelsey1704 4 / 26  
Hi!

I am hoping you guys will know the answers to a few questions I have about the application process. As a transfer student, it has been a few years since going through this the first time, and I no longer have access to a counselor that can help me.

1. I will be sending my application rather than submitting it online, and my essays will be on separate sheets as instructed. However, should I submit my essays double-spaced, or single? Also, should I just format it: name/SSN, question (in bold?), answer?

2. There is a space on the application to list my achievements, awards, etc. But it also says that a resume can be submitted. Can I just write in the space "Please see attached resume?", or should I list achievements, *and* send my resume? If not, do I literally just list the different achievements?

Hmmm...I thought I had one or two more, but I seem to be blanking. Any help with the above issues is greatly appreciated. I'm applying early decision to a small liberal arts college, and I want to do everything right, lol.
mazumderj 2 / 7  
For the first question, I think you're on the right track for the format. If I were the admissions officer, I would appreciate it if the essay were double spaced, since I find it easier to read.

For the second, I'm not too sure either but it might be safer to just list the achievements rather than do anything crazy with a resume.

I've yet to submit even my first application so I might be terribly misguided, but it's just my humble opinion lol. I'll be happy if it was of any help.
OP Kelsey1704 4 / 26  
Well, the application says to attach a resume (and an example of my academic work, which is nice), so I feel like I want to take advantage of being able to do so. I just don't know how to handle that extra space asking for my achievements.

And you're totally right about the essay...I think I will do double-spaced.
"Please see attached resume?", or should I list achievements, *and* send my resume? If not, do I literally just list the different achievements?

No, I think you can list the same achievements on both. The application and a resume are both documents intended to enable someone to skim through quickly... so, it is no big deal. Anyway, the redundancy is their fault for presenting it in a way that causes you this confusion.

And I suggest not ever writing "see resume" because some people have a silly association in their minds that makes it seem "lazy" somehow if someone writes that.
OP Kelsey1704 4 / 26  
Ah. I didn't think of the whole lazy association. Good call.

So if this were the box I would just list:

Achievement one and short description; two and description, etc.?
mmmargarita 10 / 79  
I actually had the same question as you regarding the resume. After doing a bit of research (ie college confidential), I've found that the general consensus is to not attach a resume unless you have so many committments that they can't possibly be fit in the 7 boxes. The downside is that some students attach a resume with every single thing they've ever done, which is just unecessary and annoying. However, I'd say take advantage of the "additional information" box if you need to elaborate on the activities you listed. For example, if you did a lot for one activity and can't fit in the line, then elaborate, but don't be repetitive. Also, you can list one-time service projects in the add. info section.

And yes, if you're referring to the activities section of the common app, what you said above would be correct.
Isn't it funny how much care we put into this stuff, as if the admissions people are, like, gods we have to please so as not to be smited. Smitten? We want to please them in every way. And the dark side of it is that college is big business, so here is someone trying so hard to please and impress an organization so you can gain permission to pay SO many thousands of dollars...

Whenever you do not get what you want in the college ap process, remember that it is all just a game! Sometimes bad luck turns out to be the best luck, and vice versa...
OP Kelsey1704 4 / 26  
Kevin, that's true except that I've already had my bad luck! I'm a transfer ap who was rejected from my dream school this last Spring. I had a 4.0, over 1000 hours of community service, and was transferring from the number one feeder school. But I still didn't get in. Being rejected was heartbreaking, but I realize now, only a few months later, that I had wanted to go to the school for the wrong reason. I never would have been happy there. I've since found a school I feel much more comfortable with, that I know I would be much happier at.
That is great, I'm glad it worked out that way. College is a time for transformation, so it is good to get immersed in an environment that will make you a master in some field. The atmosphere has to be right.

Home / Undergraduate / double or single-spaced & attach my resume? - Application Questions...