Undergraduate Essay Drafting - Transitions; 'dealing with changes'

cassidy23 1 / -  
Most people take for granted those short, meaningful conversations and quick moments of embrace; and they forget to realize just how much they need those constant nagging reminders. Growing up, we can all relate to the feelings of frustration and annoyance we've had to deal with from our parents. While they know just what can make us the happiest, they are the first ones to rub us the wrong way at any given moment.

I can remember a lot about my childhood. Even now, a fresh batch pancakes bring me back to the Sunday morning "flapjacks" my dad made. Each whiff of firewood on a summer night instantly pulls me into the memories of the campfires up at Crystal Lake. These moments have been embedded into me forever, though the clearest memories of my parents lie within my teenage years. I can remember almost everything about these times especially.

At age ten, my parents divorced and despite the fairly smooth break-up, it took its toll on me. While distancing myself from my dad, I deemed him "the bad guy" and kept close to my mom. I constantly felt like I wasn't making my own decisions and having my own thoughts. Within the next year, my mom and dad had separate lives completely and had begun to meet new people.

Changes have never been something I was good at dealing with. My mom had been on her own with me for about two years when someone else entered the picture. Slowly, I could feel an overwhelming sense of jealousy and frustration that continued into every day and night. With someone new in my moms life I began to feel second best. For a twelve year old girl, these feelings were difficult to deal with.

The summer entering my freshman year of high school was the worst. As a teenager about to enter high school a lot of things were confusing. Living at home shouldn't have been one of those things. I constantly felt like nothing I could do was right and that's when it really hit me. With just a few weeks before my freshman year started, I moved in with my dad. It was a tough adjustment, but it seemed to work for me. At times, I would start to really miss my mom but that's what I think made me strong. Everything I did had always been so dependent on my mom. With her, things were done on time, in order, and with care. She kept tabs on everything I needed to do and each place I had to go. She made sure everything was in order. Little things like that changed when I started to live with my dad. He didn't watch over me like that and although I thought I loved it, I realized I really did need that kind of watchful eye to keep me in place and keep me sane. It was those first couple of months without my mom that I learned to figure things out on my own. I made that transition from needy, naive teenage girl to mature and independent young adult so quickly, it took me a while to even realize.

Though that transition was tough, it ultimately shaped me into a much different person, one I can say I'm proud to be today. I know that things change and always will and I have learned to appreciate those changes and to appreciate the time I have to share with the ones I love while I still can. I learned to lean less on other people and more on myself, Going through these stages of life without my mom by my side has never been easy, nor do I think it ever will. The things I remember about my teenage years the most probably won't be the same as those around me, but I'm okay with that. No matter what happens, through my challenges I have found strength, and with this strength any goals are achievable.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
This is a good start, but I don't get the change from your essay, if that makes sense. You tell me "I made that transition from needy, naive teenage girl to mature and independent young adult," but what about you has changed? You say that you are no longer dependent on your mom, but what does that even mean? You have to describe the things you did or didn't do, and how that relates to your relationship with your mom. Then you have to describe the difference in your behavior that shows you've changed. IDK, this doesn't seem so much as a transition from child to adult as much as one from child to slightly more mature child, from living with one parent to living with the other.

Home / Undergraduate / Undergraduate Essay Drafting - Transitions; 'dealing with changes'