DRAMATIC WRITING/FILM AND TELEVISION STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR SCAD.

aperkins95 1 / -  
Here is my statement of purpose for the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I'm applying to major in Dramatic Writing and Film and Television:

It was 2009. I was sitting on my couch late one night working on some homework. The television was on and I heard someone announcing that Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was premiering that night. I decided to stay up and watch the show, since I was somewhat familiar with Jimmy Fallon's work on Saturday Night Live.

As I sat on the couch, watching the screen, I instantly fell head over heels with the show. I loved the way the writers worked as a team to create clever jokes and brilliant sketches. That evening I realized I wanted to write for entertainment. Ever since that night, I have been writing scripts. I have spent countless late nights at my computer typing out scripts that I later on rewrote.

Filmmaking entered my life about a year later. I had been researching screenwriting and I had realized that a lot of writers also produced and directed a lot of films. This sparked interest for me and I dug deeper and deeper and realized how much fun and how interesting filmmaking can be. I can create anything I want and turn it into a film. Filmmaking soon became an important aspect of my life. I started to film everything.

During school, I had a tough time with my classes. I wasn't the most talented student. I spent more time writing other stories or scripts, instead of working on schoolwork, which I do regret.. My senior year, I did realize that I had completely messed up and I should've given it my all on every assignment. That was when I wished I had invented a time machine.

Writing and film are the two things that keep my going. They inspire me, they motivate me, and they created me. My parents got divorced when I was about nine years old. We moved off a strict army base and into a small town located in Southern Indiana. When I moved, it was a life changing experience. I was used to strict rules, protection, and always being watched. I was then in a place where I felt free for the first time. My mother is my role model. She is the strongest, smartest, and most independent person I know. She always encouraged us to do our best and that kept me going. My mom always told my siblings and I that we could be whatever we wanted and that really gave me the assurance that I could be a screenwriter or a filmmaker.

The Savannah College of Art and Design is a big piece of my puzzle. I need that piece or else I won't succeed. SCAD offers everything I need and without it I won't get the education and experience I need to complete my dream. When attending SCAD, I promise to work my hardest. I will give every ounce of effort I have. I am a motivated, dedicated and driven student who would do anything to attend this school.

Sincerely,
Amy Perkins

Thanks for reading!
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi, I can help... here are a few sentences that I noticed, these are my suggestions.

I was sitting on my couch late one night working on some homework.
You could say it like this: "Late one night, I was doing my homework while sitting on the couch."

I have spent countless late nights at my computer typing out scripts that I later onsubsequently rewrote.

This sparkedmy interest,for me and I dug deeper,and deeper and realized how much fun and how interesting that filmmaking can be.

Filmmaking soonquickly became an important aspect of my life.

I spent more time writing other stories or scripts, instead of working on schoolwork, which I do regret..
Maybe say this: "Regretfully, I spent more time on creative writing than my assigned schoolwork."

My senior year, I did realize that I had completely messed up and I should've given it my all on every assignment.
Maybe you should omit this part... you want to shine the best light on your character.

I would shorten the part about your family, and make it more about your goals and plans. The college wants to read that you are a person with short term and long term goals, and how college will help you get there. I feel that you should do one more draft of this paper, focus on your creative writing talents and interests, "show off" your writing, because you say you are applying for a writing degree. It is a great paper, but I believe that you can take it up a notch :) Good luck in school.

Home / Undergraduate / DRAMATIC WRITING/FILM AND TELEVISION STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR SCAD.