Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, world citizen...

TheButcha 1 / -  
Essay Question: In the spirit of adventurous inquiry, pose a question of your own. If your prompt is original and thoughtful, then you should have little trouble writing a great essay. Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, citizen of the world, or future citizen of the University of Chicago; take a little risk, and have fun.

Essay: Rough Draft
Who is God? What is God? Where is God? All these questions have answers based only on faith and belief. If only there were factual evidence or proof that would justify God's being. Many people think this world and universe was created either by God or through some scientific reaction that boomed into the universe as it is today. On one side you have factual proof; atoms, elements and compounds, yet there are still things science cannot explain. Things like how a human can sense danger and when someone is looking at you from behind your back. The closer science reaches back to the beginning of everything the more imprecise it becomes. All these mysteries tumbled in one giant mess. Yet it can be solve and organized, challenging but not impossible. We can start by changing the way we look at everything. Not creation or evolution, but creation and evolution. What if science is not supposed to disprove God but strengthen instead? What if God used science to create the universe?

A question such as this is not a simple one. A priest or religious person would tell you to read the Bible, or the Quran and many other spiritual texts. Though a scientist may think you are going cuckoo and tell you to choose either creation or evolution. As all questions go one would do best to answer it by starting at the very beginning. On the scientific side it's very hard to calculate and describe the beginning of the universe. There are several theories like the big bang theory. But we can break it down into smaller parts that make more sense. What was at the very beginning of everything? One thing that is most certain is time. Time is a very complicated subject. My sister tells me time is an illusion that was just made to count the days going by. Yet when the universe was created time started counting. You can tell time by the rotation and revolution of the earth. That means that if you rewind through time, you are really just going back to prior revolutions and rotation of the earth. The earth however was not at the beginning of the universe so using time gets complicated.

Fortunately, there is something else that was at the beginning of the universe. Energy, it can't be created or destroyed and happens to be everywhere in the universe at the same time you can't see, smell, or touch it. But you can feel it which sounds a lot like God. Though energy can be transformed and is used to power most of the world. In modern day science there are many different forms of energy. Heat energy which you can feel from the sun, Light energy and so on. But one thing that isn't in science is pure energy, which apparently a myth. But one can ask themselves where all the other forms of energies come from? The source of all the energy we see today?

A major factor to this argument is rotation and revolution. The earth happens to be held in place by the sun's gravity and its constant revolution like a tennis ball has a string and its being swung around. But what hold the sun in place? There must be a bigger source of gravity that it is revolving around. And that brings us to galaxies which have a centre with a huge amount of gravity. Yet the question gets bigger. What holds the galaxy in place? There must be something at the centre of the universe that has a huge gravity that all the galaxies revolve around. And just like how the sun is the source of energy to the planets in the solar system. The centre of the universe is the source of energy to all the galaxies and their solar systems. Yet scientists theorize that there is no centre of the universe, which of course has not been proven.
jakkamgirish 1 / 2  
Hi Butcha
In my view the essay is well written but at the end its more scientific evident , it would be more accurate if you quote a thing from religious text about energy and relate it with scientific theory of energy , such as the center of universe is energy as said in the bible or something like that.

Just a suggestion.
;)
Amani, I'd like to share my thoughts.

First of all, you did took a risk in writing this essay, you made sure that it will catch the attention of your readers, trigger questions and make your essay matter.

The essay is written well, quiet entertaining, risky, full of doubts, questions to be answered that only a specified observation will be able to answer or maybe not, maybe we just leave it to nature and for science to unfold itself, however, we ought to say no, we, as human being risk everything to get answers to questions that puzzle us, which is good and takes a lot of effort.

Now, if I were ask if you are a good writer, absolutely yes, you made sure that your readers are pinned on your article, you make sure that the readers are clipped to getting to know what your goals are, what your views of the matter is and what we can do to attain such goals.

Lastly, you made room for your readers to figure out what they could've done and what they can still do to make a small change everyday, because a small change is a change after all. No small thing should be left out, each single small effort is an effort and change will come with constant practice and cooperation.

I'm glad that I came across your essay and had read about it, it's just fascinating and entertaining altogether.

Home / Undergraduate / Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, world citizen...