'I have dreamed about college' - Illinois State University application

tommyboy614 2 / 12  
Hello everyone,

I'm applying to colleges this fall and I began writing essays recently. I appreciate any feedback!

Here's the prompt:

* State why you feel Illinois State University is a good fit for your educational goals.
* Identify and explain your academic strengths and weaknesses.
* Explain any circumstances which affected your high school academic performance, if applicable.

Here's what I have, am I ranting to much? :

College. I have dreamed about it since the fifth grade, and once I began high school, I learned so much about it. I went from thinking that I would get a 30+ on the ACT and that I would get accepted to Northwestern, to overhauling my entire college list once reality struck (which was my 25 on the ACT and Northwestern's price tag). Now I am looking for a school that is close to home while being far enough to establish independence, and one that is sized between a large, public university and a small private college. Illinois State University seems to be the perfect fit for me. I will admit, however, that I have not yet been to campus due to financial restraints and I hope to visit sometime soon. However, numerous pictures and online videos have reassured me of the campus beauty. Since I have been going on about why I am interested in attending ISU, allow me to tell you more about me. I love journalism. And if you had told me freshmen year that I would be a writer, I would have laughed. My English teacher told me to try my hand at the school newspaper and I figured, why not? In the last three years, I've worked my way up from reporter, to Managing Editor. I also found employment last year at a teen newspaper, The Mash, published by the Chicago Tribune. Having the opportunity to interview people like a financial expert and the Director of the Chicago Film Office, have only confirmed that I want to do this as a career. I have also won awards through my experience as a journalist, such as an honorable mention in Feature Writing through the 2012 NISPA awards, as well as winning third place and making it to state in Headline Writing in the 2012 IHSA Journalism sectionals and I hope to qualify again this year, but in the Copy Editing category, which has been elusive these past two years. So, can you guess what I want to major in? Yes, it's journalism!

I love to learn. I always have. And yes, there are certain academic areas that I don't perform well in such as science and honors classes, but I embrace new challenges. I am taking some difficult classes this year, including my first AP class. I love English, grammar especially, which can be seen through my love of Copy Editing. I just hope there are not any errors in this essay!

I believe that Illinois State University will provide me with an excellent education, many opportunities to have a great college experience, and the challenges I need to have a successful future. I hope that you were able to see who I am in this essay and why I would love to be a Redbird.
sagittarius94 1 / 5  
Just break each of the points into three different paragraphs instead of having it run-on,,, Im also applying to college this year.
OP tommyboy614 2 / 12  
Thank you!

I also think I should mention that this statement is optional in the application - if that makes a difference at all.
NatalieHan 1 / 3  
hey tommyboy614,
this is a very great essay but if I were you I wouldn't mention how you wanted to go to Northwestern. I enjoyed reading it

It's great that you know what you're going to do in college.
best of luck!
:D

Home / Undergraduate / 'I have dreamed about college' - Illinois State University application