I have dreamed of working in the aviation industry; Motivation Letter - Exchange program

mhw353 1 / 1  
I want to study in the US through an exchange program, for that reason i had to write a motivation letter. Any comment/improvement is welcome.

My name is (....) I am 23 years of age and live in the Netherlands. I wish to apply for the (....). Currently, I am studying (....) at the (....) in the Netherlands. This unique study started in 2011 because of the high demand for (....) from the (....) industry specialized in (....). This Bachelor study lasts for four years, where I am currently in the second semester of the second year. The curriculum of this study contains processes related to as well as (....) as (....).

Ever since I was a child I have dreamed of working in the aviation industry. In secondary school I enjoyed math and physics, my father who is now a retired civil engineer/pilot encouraged me to pursue engineering. After the secondary school in 2008, I chose to study a four-year course of Aviation Maintenance. The more I learned about aircrafts and the broad range of career opportunities available to aircraft engineers, the more excited I became about my chosen field. From September 2011 till June 2012, I did my graduation internship of 10 months at a company named (....) in Miami/Fort Lauderdale, America. During this period of time I have had the opportunity to work with practicing engineers, see what the business world was like, and assess my skills to determine what the best job fit would be for me. As time passed by I became interested in learning more about (....). I am very interested in learning more about this career path because I see it as an opportunity for me to combine my technical knowledge with my interest in leadership and desire to lead aviation related projects. In July 2012, I successfully graduated from Aviation Maintenance. To pursue my dream career I started with (....) in September 2012 at the (....).

Studying (....) in Amsterdam is like a dream come true, I am very happy about my chosen field and that's also supported by my grades I have a grade point average of 3.6 (out of 4.0). To get the most out of my education I decided to join the focus group of (....). This group exists out of 13 motivated students and is elected by the Head of Department. We are representing the students and act as a link between the students and school councils. Due to well functioning I was elected by my fellow members as chairman of the focus group. My responsibilities are making sure that each meeting is planned effectively and that matters are dealt with in an orderly and efficient manner. Insure that board members have the information they need to make informed decisions and coordinate the planning of the board's activities.

Now I have reached a phase in my study where I get the chance to take it a step further and apply for the (....) program to study in the United States of America. There are several reasons why I would like to study in the USA but the most important ones are personal growth and academic flexibility. My internship in America changed me as a person I learned a lot about my self and gained lots of discipline. My self-confidence is increased and the skills which I acquired during my internship influenced my career path it ignited an interest in a new career direction namely (....). During my stay in the USA I made lots of friends, friends with whom I have contact on weekly basis. The idea of studying in the USA arose during Skyping with one of my American friends, he has told me a lot about the education system. From what I have been told I can conclude that the education system in the USA is a lot different compared to the Netherlands. In the USA students have the flexibility in terms of courses, which enables them to choose from a variety of subjects and specialize in a certain area without taking any unnecessary classes. This appeals to me a lot. In the final year of my current study I have the possibility to apply for the Honors Program of (....) and I am planning to do so. If I can get the chance to study in the USA and follow a program focused on (....) this will increase my chances enormously to participate in the Honors Program.

In conclusion I would like to say I hope that I can get the chance to relive the great old days in USA. In the past I have experienced the USA from business and cultural point of view, the only thing left is to experience USA from education point of view. Thank you for taking the time to consider my application and I am looking forward to participating in this life-changing experience.
N_Campbell 3 / 8 2  
I think its great and shows your goals well.
OP mhw353 1 / 1  
Thank you Campbell!

Home / Undergraduate / I have dreamed of working in the aviation industry; Motivation Letter - Exchange program