Dreams overcome nightmares after emigrating from China.

PinkDori 2 / 1  
Also can you guys give me input on my UC 1 too? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all :)

Essay 1:Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

People have dreams and nightmares, but it is their dreams that conquer their nightmares.

Ever since I immigrated to the US from China, my parents had been feeding me ideas of becoming a medicinal chemist like my father. They started to shape my life as early as second grade. So it was limited time for television, more homework after school homework, and extra hours of memorizing multiplication tables in the summer. And as if I haven't been giving enough already, they went out of their way to think that playing piano would help improve my chances, so now not only did I have to sacrifice summer, but I had to give up my Sundays for piano lessons as well. Fueled by my parent's ambitions, I worked hard to the top of my classes.

However, this isn't what I wanted. I understood that my parents wanted me to try my hardest and achieve as much as I possibly could, but this wasn't the dream that I had for myself. This was a nightmare to me, because I couldn't pursue what I was truly interested in.

As I entered high school, my interest in becoming a chemist began to fade. I took a variety of courses that exposed me to many opportunities and there came a point in my life when I asked myself: "What I really wanted to be?"

One day on my way out of my school's tutoring center, I walked past a classroom playing a movie called "Stonehenge Decoded." I thought this movie would be just another bland informational film about ancient rocks, but nonetheless, I watched silently from a tiny door opening. As the movie progressed, it talked about the meaning behind Stonehenge and cultures of the Windmill Hill people who built the gargantuan monoliths.

As the movie went more in depth about their ancient culture, I wondered to myself if the cultures of the Windmill Hill people might have influenced that of modern society. The thought of studying ancient cultures and how they might have acted as a base of American culture fascinated me. At that pivotal point, I realized that I would like to pursue something in the field of anthropology. However, the problem still remained: how to confront my parents with this newly developed interest?

I couldn't bring myself to imagine what would happen to me when I told my parents that their efforts in preparing me to become a future chemist went down the drain. This to me was a nightmare, but it was something that I couldn't avoid.

One day after dinner, I decided to have this talk with my parents. The air was tense as I stuttered to them my newly developed interest in broken Chinese. Silence overtook, and I stood there for the longest two minutes of my life waiting for the consequences and repeating to myself "I'm doomed, I'm doomed." Seeing my parents looking perplexed at my proposal, I thought to myself "What did I get myself into?

I prepared myself to receive a disparaging lecture on how I've wasted my parent's efforts and destroyed their ambitions, but instead I was greeted by warm, welcoming smiles. I was confused. I didn't understand until they told me that they had read documentaries about ancient Chinese culture and were eager to learn more. I froze in disbelief. No words could express my joy that moment when I found out that the major I wanted to pursue did not thwart my parents' future expectations of me. This made me wonder what human behavior was like a few thousand years ago when children would like to do something unexpected from their parents.

My parents understood my situation, and I realized the mindset that they had. They have disciplined me to be efficient and consistent in everything I do, expecting me to do the best I can. I guess dreams do overcome after all.
Ever since I immigrated to the United States from China, my parents had been feeding
Above, it's better to write out the full term.

Well, I think you wrote this essay perfectly. It is so impressive that you have a clear aspiration. This essay appeals to many different people, I think, because it has different kinds of appeal... emotional, intellectual, inspirational.

If you want to make it even better, add more discussion of the current topics in anth. pertaining to Chinese culture and other topics associated with the part of the field you want to enter. Cite some articles.

:-)
babyjess 3 / 11  
I like how you structure your paragraphs, they are well-organized.
and i think your aspiration is very unique and clear which is very possitive.
Good Luck Chinese guy!
by the way i am a chinese as well :) and i love ancient world,especially Ancient Egypt.
OP PinkDori 2 / 1  
haha thank you all for the tips! they are very much appreciated :D

Home / Undergraduate / Dreams overcome nightmares after emigrating from China.