Drexel University Essay: why you are interested in your choice of major

Gilchrist2014 3 / 8 1  
I was once asked as a kid, what I wanted to be in future when i grew up and I said "I do not no", but growing up as a little boy back my birth country Cameroon , I was always fascinated by computers. I always wondered what they were used for and how they worked. Watching TV, I will always see cartoons and asked my father how they were made and he'll always say using the computer.

Being anxious to know more about how computers work has been in me since I was a little kid. Every time my dad used his computer, I will always want to sit next to him to see how he used the computer sometimes asked if i could use it too. As a kid, electronics always made me happy but nothing surpassed the love I had for computers. I self taught myself how to use a computer by playing educative games on it like typing tutor , spelling puzzles which was very satisfying to me when I was learning the basics of computer science in school. I felt smarter than everyone else because I knew a lot about the computer at a very young age. I knew all the parts of the computer, I could tell if they were input or output devices of the computer.

Years later , my family moved to the USA which was kind of a big transition in my life where i left my friends to make new ones here , I learned a new culture and language. In school , I took me a couple of weeks to perfectly keep up with the workload and how fast some teachers taught because of my weaknesses at the time like reading fast and paying attention in class due to distractions. I also had strengths such as being able to process lots of information at one time and also being a quick learner.My parents made me read lots of books and also be involved both in extracurricular activities and community service.

While in school, I didn't feel smarter than anyone because usually everyone was at the same level or close but my love for computers hadn't changed. In high school I took computer science related courses like Design and Technology Solutions, Foundations of Tech and AP computer science which i passed with a B grade or higher. So if i'm asked "why computer science ?" I'm going to say its because I'm good at it , I love computer science and also my Dad does computer science as a profession which is an inspiration to me to go to Drexel University and major in computer science.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
This essay response is okay, but I think they want a more original and unique answer than "Because I like it" and "Because I'm good at it." Everyone who wants to study Computer Science will say the same things, and you want to stand out. Write more about what kinds of Computer Science you are interested in. You write that you know the parts of the computer and are good at things like typing, but that is not Computer Science. Computer Science is learning how to write programs in coding languages. It's fine if you know that and still want to study it, but you have to say why you want CS and not another computer-related major like Information Systems, Information Technology, Digital Media, Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering (these are all majors at Drexel).
OP Gilchrist2014 3 / 8 1  
Thanks for the corrections. I'll try to fix them and then put it back up for more editing if necessary.
nitex 1 / 14 4  
good writing. you can also add in what you want to do with learning computer or how learning computer can help you

Home / Undergraduate / Drexel University Essay: why you are interested in your choice of major