U-dub supplement: Being an Ambassador since age 2

alexis112 1 / -  
B. Short Response (Required)
Maximum length: 300 words
Our families and communities often define us and our individual worlds. Community might refer to your cultural group, extended family, religious group, neighborhood or school, sports team or club, co-workers, etc. Describe the world you come from and how you, as a product of it, might add to the diversity of the University of Washington.

I am a product of this world

I've been an ambassador of the East and West world since I was a kid. I attribute my early success to my stubborn parents who both insisted that their culture and the values that accompany it is the better one. My father is a third generation Asian-american who experienced the stereotypical american childhood consisted of outdoor activities and learning through experience. My mother, on the other hand, is Taiwanese who grew up with her parents holding a stick behind her while she studied, as well as deep superstitions like the number four being bad luck. As a result, I had a bi-cultural experience growing up, receiving gifts on Christmas, red envelopes on Chinese New Year, and a big fat meal on both Thanksgiving and the Moon festival. At home I watched news on the dynamics between countries in Southeast Asian and K-drama; while at school, I took classes on U.S. history and learned to analyze and write effectively in English.

While some people spend years studying the rules of translation, I'm a natural pro as I've translated between my parents, switching from English to Chinese in split seconds, for more than ten years. My understanding of both my parents' cultures has allowed me to bring them closer, like the time I had to explain to my dad why his gift to my mom, a watch, is inappropriate because it sounded like he was giving her "ending"- death, or the numerous times I had to explain my dad's satirical american-humor to my mom.

I believe my blended background, my understanding of U.S. and Chinese culture, as well as fluency in both English and Chinese, can add to the diversity of the University of Washington, not as an individual, but in my ability to deepen people's understanding of a different culture. Just as I had diversified and deepened my parent's perspective, I too, can be an ambassador between U.S. students and international students at the University of Washington.
Good work Joanna, I don't see any reason why this essay will not work as a response to the prompt. You may want to clarify which Chinese language you speak though as I have heard that each province of China has a different take on the Chinese language. So do you speak Fookien Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, or what? Being specific about it will also add to the unique perspective and point of view that you are presenting. While the Chinese traditions may be standard, the languages that the Chinese language has offshoots of helps you to become even more diversified than you think. You may want to add information, rather than remove information though. For instance, when you say that you are a natural pro at the language and cultural translation, you may want to add how this blended background has created a unique understanding of the world we live in for you. Maybe explain that as you tread two worlds, you also manage to widen your understanding of the things that make each culture unique and diversified, which has led to an interesting personality development on your part. You can still add that information if you wish to. You still have the available word allotment available to do so.

Home / Undergraduate / U-dub supplement: Being an Ambassador since age 2