Duke engineering essay; 'I come from an artistically inclined family'

grateful1 6 / 17 1  
A few things: Alright so I know this is kind of long. Should it be cut down? Also the prompt say 1-3 paragraphs. should I make an effor to condense into 3? If so, where?

I come from an artistically inclined family. Whether it is my sister's acting, mother's paintings, or father's guitar playing, I am constantly exposed to the visual and performing arts. Growing up, I loved art. I relished being able to design, craft, and make tangible what was once in my head. However, as I grew older and the painting utensils changed from fingers to brushes I came to realize that my technical ability in the arts did not match my creative fire. I was at a loss as to how I could express my inner thirst for design. While my father had quick and dexterous finger, my mother had an eloquent and graceful brush stroke, and my sister had the ability to draw in an audience, all I had was my demonstrated skill in mathematics. So, I began looking for way in which I could combine my proficiency in math and love of creative design. Engineering is what I found.

Engineering merges everything I want in a professional and academic pursuit. As an engineer, I would have the ability to design systems, structures, and machines, and I could use my innate analytical and mathematical skills to ensure the feasibility of the design. For me, Engineering is my creative outlet while math is simply the tool I am equipped with to make these thoughts and ideas come to fruition. My internship at a civil engineering office has further inspired my aspirations to pursue engineering. When I see an engineer design a specific portion of a building plan it ignites my fervent passion for innovation, and when I see this engineer use a myriad of mathematical calculations to ensure the design will work, I am elated by the fact that I can truly participate in my own unique form of creativity.

At the Pratt School of Engineering I see an unabashed commitment to what is at the very core of my passion for engineering. As the fastest growing engineering program in the United Stated, Duke University boasts a plethora of recent groundbreaking discoveries that highlight its dedication to the innovative aspect of engineering. Whether it is bioengineers finding a new mechanism to increase the tolerance of antibiotics or students working to reprogram DNS, both faculty and students make the Pratt school of engineering an environment in which one would constantly be surrounded by the innovative design that originally drew me to engineering. This culture of creation offered by Pratt does not stop at the classroom. Every year undergraduate students take part in internships made possible by Pratt's annual job fair. By offering their students the ability apply what they are learning in the classroom with a company working in the field, Pratt enables its students to design and create in a real world environment. In doing this, Pratt students also learn the constraints and realities of creativity for a practical purpose, and therefore, learn to think more innovatively and realistically. Subsequently, this new and approved approach as a result of the internship will yield better overall engineers. If I were to attend Duke I would undoubtedly take advantage of the internship program as it would not only allow me to work in a creative manner, but it would also enable me to hone and refine my skill in creative and innovative thinking.

While the internship opportunities are something I will take advantage of during my time at duke, the skills duke will equip me with after my graduation have me just as excited. In the future, I see myself as the owner of my own engineering company. Both Pratt and Duke as a whole show a deep dedication to entrepreneurship. Through programs like the Duke Startup challenge and the Duke Entrepreneurship education series, Duke offers an environment in which innovative engineering and entrepreneurship are fully supported. This environment will undoubtedly have a long lasting beneficial effect on me and my dreams of owning my own engineering firm or start up company upon my graduation. As a prospective student considering Duke I see a place that is the foundation and catalyst for every academic or career related goal I wish to achieve.
mercedes1923 4 / 8  
grateful1

Well, this is a well-written essay. However, it is a bit on the long side. Three paragraphs should consist of around 500 words or so. If longer, than that could be a problem.

Before I can give you advice, I must ask what is the topic? Can you give me the question you need to answer so I can have a better understanding of what it is you are trying to convey :D
OP grateful1 6 / 17 1  
prompt is: discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke.

what specific parts should be cut down???
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Your essay reads more like marketing material from duke rather than an essay from an applicant for admissions...especially this part:
"As the fastest growing engineering program in the United Stated, Duke University boasts a plethora of recent groundbreaking discoveries that highlight its dedication to the innovative aspect of engineering. Whether it is bioengineers finding a new mechanism to increase the tolerance of antibiotics or students working to reprogram DNS, both faculty and students make the Pratt school of engineering an environment in which one would constantly be surrounded by the innovative design that originally drew me to engineering. This culture of creation offered by Pratt does not stop at the classroom. Every year undergraduate students take part in internships made possible by Pratt's annual job fair. By offering their students the ability apply what they are learning in the classroom with a company working in the field, Pratt enables its students to design and create in a real world environment. In doing this, Pratt students also learn the constraints and realities of creativity for a practical purpose, and therefore, learn to think more innovatively and realistically. Subsequently, this new and approved approach as a result of the internship will yield better overall engineers."

You never talk about how you will utilize the resources as Duke to help YOU realize your passions and dreams. This is what you need to include. -admissions advice online

Hope this helps.

Home / Undergraduate / Duke engineering essay; 'I come from an artistically inclined family'