'Dutch - my mother language' - Application Essay for University of Cincinnati

veggiebunny 1 / -  
Please provide a Personal Statement regarding how your academic achievements, personal interests, and life experiences have helped prepare you to succeed academically and to be an active member of the UC community. Be sure your response addresses each of the three components. (Please limit your response to approximately 250 words).

Ever since I had learned the basics of Dutch vocabulary, my mother language, at the age of two; my mother and grandmother taught me to speak and understand French. Both of them had been able to speak the language at a very young age as well. This privilege gave me a head start on the other pupils as I was able to concentrate on all the other classes instead of struggling to learn a new language.

combining my extra time with hard work, I have always been one of the best achieving pupils of my elementary and high school classes.
Listening to a wide variety of music, my biggest passion, has enabled me to discover the English language. This was again extremely helpful once I had my first English class; that instantly became my favorite class.

My interest in the language didn't only develop from listening to music, my first discovery was the beauty and purity of the United States and its culture during a trip to the West Coast. A later vacation trip to New York only made my love for the country stronger and my mind was made up, I was going to study in America.

My knowledge of French and maybe Dutch in addition to Belgian culture could be an enrichment to the University of Cincinnati as a place for intellectual and personal development, while this experience could be an enrichment to my own development.
PHUONG VU 2 / 5  
Hi veggiebunny,

Pls find my comments in the attachment. Good luck with the application ;)

Phuong

isabelacarlaros - / 2  
Hi! I hope this help! :) Good luck!

At the tender age of two, I have learned the basics of the Dutch vocabulary, my mother language. Because of that my mother and grandmother encouraged me to study the French language under their tutelage. This privilege granted me a head start on the other pupils as I was able to focus on all the other classes instead of struggling to learn a new language.

Combining my extra time with tough work, I have always been one of the best achieving pupils of my primary and high school years.
Listening to a wide variety of music, my biggest passion, has enabled me to discover and learn the English language. This was once more extremely helpful at the time I took my first English class; that instantly turned into a favorite subject of mine.

My interest in the language didn't only develop from listening to music, my first trip to the West Coast of the United States exposed me to the purity and beauty of American culture. That is what further triggered my curiosity with the language and the country itself. A later trip to New York city had further inflamed my passion and adoration for the country and I've determined that yes, I'm travelling to hit the books in America.

My knowledge of French and Dutch in addition to my exposure to Belgian culture could be an enrichment to the University of Cincinnati as a place for intellectual and personal development, while this experience could be an enrichment to my own evolution.
Ever since I had learned the basics of Dutch vocabulary, my mother languagemother tongue, at the age of two; my mother and grandmother taughtbegan to teach me to speak and understand French. Both of them too, had been able to speak the language at a very young age as well.

This was a privilege gavegiving me a head start on the other pupils as I was able to concentrate on all the other classes instead of struggling to learn a new language.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Dutch - my mother language' - Application Essay for University of Cincinnati