My duties towards the family; HAZ LA U SCHOL; Academic & Career Goals (Mexican Heritage)

iamnicholas1 10 / 17 1  
Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.
How has your Hispanic heritage influenced these goals? *

My Mexican Heritage and Traditions

My grandfather wiped the sweat from his brow. He looked up, the scorching sun beating down on his unprotected neck. Working in the fields of Stockton was backbreaking labor; the serious faces of the workers around him reflected his own discomfort. But he had to provide for his family; he could not give up. Familia es todo. Family is everything. That was his motto. Even today, 40 years later, being born a Cumpian means carrying these values as if they were genetic. Like my ancestor before me, my overwhelmingly ambitious schedule clashes with familial duties; however, whereas my grandfather struggled to support those he loved by gathering onions, I face the challenge of attending college and receiving an education - all in the hopes of inspiring a new generation of cousins to become leaders in their own right. From my strenuous water polo practices to my weekly Catholic studies, I have never forgotten the value of family; it is something my heritage will never allow. "Familia es todo" has become more than just a traditional phrase - it has become a way of life.

As I strive to attend a prestigious university, I realize more and more of the truth in my grandfather's philosophy. Mexicano heritage traditionally consists of strong family ties and encouragement; it is with both of these that I adjusted as well as I did to Lincoln High after transferring my sophomore year. My mother - armed with stories of her youth - pushed me to break past the stigma of being the "new kid" and join the school's water polo team. My father, proud to see his son involved in his community, supported me in my decision to accept nomination as the Leo's Club Treasurer. With their backing, as well as the backing of multiple aunts and uncles, I studied and tested my way to a 4.15 GPA. If I am to inspire future generations of family members as my grandfather did me, I must learn to exceed my limits and defy expectations, all while keeping my eyes on the true prize - my aspiration - of attending Pepperdine University. My maturation, however, meant more to me than a grade or a class ranking. As I aged, I realized that if I were to truly support others as my grandfather did his family, I needed to do it through more than just my studies.

When Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, I realized it was time for me to return the encouragement she had lent me so many years before. Being a family means supporting each other through any of life's obstacles - and now, Mom needed me more than ever. Dad took weeks off from work to remain by her side when her hospital stays lasted days on end; my brother and I maintained the house and cooked dinners on nights when the chemotherapy sapped my mother's strength. Familia es todo. As my grandfather's words of wisdom rang in my ears, and as my Mexicano heritage reminded me of the value of family, my priorities changed. I still strive to inspire others to follow in my footsteps; however, I also aspire to become a doctor and assist those in the world who have made as much a difference in their own families as my mother has in mine. I strive to open clinics in places such as Africa, dedicated to treating malaria and AIDS. With the backing of not only my family, but also the leadership skills developed in my years with the Leo's Club, my goals are well within reach. Founded on the ideals of my Mexicano heritage, I can extend my definition of family far beyond the borders of Stockton - and create opportunities for those without the encouragement I was so lucky to enjoy.
luying9682 6 / 35 6  
Hello, iamnicholas1 !
This is a well-written essay! You did a good job in describing your family and how it influenced you. I can also see your ambition and your potential of achieving your goal.

But maybe you should expand your goals, either short-term one or long-term one? Since the first sentence of the prompt is

I guess the admission officers would like to see your goals and then see your ability of reaching them. Just my thoughts on the prompt. You can shift the orders of telling your stories and your goals.

Hope it helps :) Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / My duties towards the family; HAZ LA U SCHOL; Academic & Career Goals (Mexican Heritage)