"dynamic and diverse student body" - Northwestern - "WHY US" essay

piggie 2 / 2  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

There's lots to work on, any content issues I should fix?
Pleaseeee have a look, this is my first post :P
To fit all the reasons why Northwestern is my dream university into an essay would be deemed impossible. However, there are prominent unique qualities that bolster Northwestern above any other university.

At Northwestern, a dynamic and diverse student body is formed by leaders of the future from all over the globe. In addition to this accumulation of greatness, Northwestern provides students with great attributes such as the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, where I would be able to maneuver and pursue my interests to truly find my destined path and become a fruitful contributor to society. With its campus located near the city of Chicago, it provides students with the best of both worlds; an intimate college experience united with the bustling commotion of a large city. Having lived in Toronto and Los Angeles and smaller cities such as Portland, I have never been able to taste this luxury simultaneously. As an individual who has pushed for cultural exchange between different countries in the world, there is no doubt that Northwestern is the place to make a collective impact.

When residing near the shores of Lake Ontario in the cities of Toronto and Kingston, I always heard of the other great lakes, such as Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Lake Superior, and last but not least, Lake Michigan. These lakes combine to form the largest body of fresh water in the world, comparable to the student-faculty relationships at NU. With the collaboration of more than 2900 outstanding faculty members and its student body, Northwestern has been deemed as one of the most productive research universities in the world. After living in the countries of Canada, the United States, Mexico and China, I have concluded to devote my future exclusively in America, just like Lake Michigan is the only lake situated entirely in the US. Hiring only professors with years of experience and high aptitude levels, I have no need to doubt the quality of the education offered by Northwestern but should rather anticipate the spark and vast knowledge waiting to be acquired.

Parting away from the academic aspects of NU, life away from the classroom is exquisite. With events such as the Dance Marathon which raised almost a million dollars last year and NCDC, I hope to utilize these advantages and transfer my volunteering experience to the communities of Evanston and Chicago. Moreover, GESI has caught my attention and adequately represents my passion to make a global impact, especially in third-world countries. I truly look forward to be an asset to the community surrounding Northwestern and beyond.

The qualities demonstrated at Northwestern are extensive and are all ones I can't wait to be a part of. With educational opportunities able to jumpstart any career, an amazing community, Northwestern entices me. I dream of walking along the third coast of the United States in my Wildcat shirt, knowing that I couldn't be more proud of my attire that day.
chet1119 2 / 14  
Hi Tanya,

Whilst there is not much stylistically wrong with your essay, I think it simply lacks content.

You mention very little to almost nothing about why NU appeals to you academically. I am not sure how important is the bit on the Great Lakes. Is it really a significant to apply to NU??

The only thing you mention about the qualities of northwestern is the word itself. Dance marathons, and a nice blend of college and city lives is offered my many other good colleges. So why NU then?

I think you need to step backwards, and take a look at the academic programs at NU and how they blend with your own interests.

I hope this helps :)

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "dynamic and diverse student body" - Northwestern - "WHY US" essay