"a dysfunction hand" - Common App Essay

forrest0531 1 / -  
The gore spouted out, the darkness struck upon, my consciousness vanished in lacuna. The moment I fell down from horse-riding last year clicked with a flash but granted me a deformed fracture right hand.

I was unwilling to bend to the adversity. I had continuously tasted the sweet brought by my brave attempts after the swimming coach asked me to swim without the back float, after my mother moved protective tires of my children's wheels away, and after...An aspiration of overcoming the difficulty existed in my mind, exactly. Thus hearing that I would not use my hand for three months, although shocked, I made a decision of training and using my left hand. It was just that determination that lay me out of the plight and truly changed my mind.

The whole left-hand training still remains fresh in my memory. It started with picking up chopsticks. The thumb and forefinger seems indifferent and ignorant to the orders from mind, like dumb and deaf. Fingers were so reluctant to handle those heavy wood sticks that I even could not finish my meal due to the lack of strength. The thumb would never toe and heel with forefinger, and the middle finger seemed to want to control the other two. The chaos of these three went fiercer and more violent when it came to written assignment. The bolster middle finger would never show up its passion to be a supporting role but excessive enthusiasm of dominating. This confusion of roles perfectly resulted in words that could be decoded by no one, even me. A mess also came to me later, when I found that although last two fingers could feel the mission coming from the brain, but they went on strike in the actions. Endowing strength to this weak hand went into desperation, but I still insisted my choice of training my dysfunctional hand.

In an effort to let my fingers more powerful, I held two wooden balls in my hands and interchanged their positions for two hours for the first day, then two copper ones and ended with other heavier ones. Once the left hand got used to weight on this scale, its handling with chopsticks or pens became easier. I also became patient and optimistic, offering fingers more time to acclimate. Then, a balance was expected and acquired. The most astonishing thing was that I could feel the nerve leaping ups and downs when the five fingers learned to coordinate and cooperate with each other.

The training helped me to explore and exploit my potential and transformed my brain into a duo-core processor, endowing me with the capacity to simultaneously deal with multi-tasks. I could organize the campaign for recycling plastic bottles, while at the same time planned the birthday celebration for my class advisor. With my ambidexterity, I successfully finished my tasks. My fellow classmates were appreciative of my idea for the birthday gift, a magic cube with the photos of all students in our class imprinted on it. In addition, I have satisfactorily performed my duties for the Environmental Protection Club, and collected 34,200 plastic bottles in a year. Ambidexterity has brought me with big advantage of efficiency, and hence I was able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing the quality of my work. So it became natural when I won all the awards named "efficiency".

I would never predict that horse-riding led up to a dysfunction hand; I would never imagine how painfully I would suffer from training a hand; I would never give a thought to an idea that this process would upgrade me into being multi-task worker, however, I know that no hope shall be abandoned when dangers strike upon, no fear shall be left in the determination of making a change, no faith shall be sabotaged or undermined in the face of making a difference. What is more, the whole odyssey fills me up with fun more than fastidiousness, surprises more than bewilderedness, self-confidence more than self-contemptuousness. Through this, my confidence gains its strength that when tough calls anytime, faith answers all the time.

======
Any comment is welcomed
Thx!
When I fell from the horse last year, it happened in a flash but granted me a deformed fractured right hand.

I had continuously tasted the sweetness brought by ..

The thumb and forefinger seems indifferent and ignorant to the orders from mind, as though they were dumb and deaf. ----this is a great sentence!! I made a small change to it, though.

You described the process very well!

Here is another idea for you:
...but I still insisted my choice of training on continuing to train my dysfunctional hand.

In an effort to let make my fingers more powerful, I held ...

:-)
Jonika 4 / 11  
The gore spouted out, the darkness struck upon, my consciousness vanished in lacuna

This sentence is wordy and somewhat awkward IMO. What does lacuna mean? What did the darkness stike upon?
Yes... I was thinking it should at least have a conjunction:
The gore spouted out, the darkness struck upon me, and my consciousness vanished in lacuna.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "a dysfunction hand" - Common App Essay