'Eating locally' - UC #2: Accomplishment, contribution (Locavorism)

appstudent1 1 / 2  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

In today's increasingly fast-paced, capitalistic world, heavily reliant on technology and globalization, it is easy to forget about simple localities. In the race to achieve, certain principles have been long forgotten in exchange for rapid resource degredation and big business triumphing over local. By embracing the locavore movement, it is entirely possible to take a stand for the environment and small business, while still helping the community grow.

The concept of being a locavore was first introduced to me during my junior year of high school. It was the topic of a document-based essay assigned to my English class. A locavore was defined as one who only eats foods grown and produced locally (typically within a 250 mile radius).

"So, should I write about supporting this movement? Do I?"

Initially, the idea seemed slightly far-fetched. It seemed like an inconvenience, really, but I made the quick choice to write in favor of the eco-friendly movement. It was a timed essay, after all! But as I leafed through the documents provided, highlighting and annotating them, the notion really began to sink in. These locavores had some very legitimate points fueling their movement! By the time I completed my essay, I was actually convinced. The transition didn't happen overnight, but I took baby steps, eventually replacing my entire diet with locally raised foods. One year later, I can proudly say I have committed wholeheartedly to the locavore lifestyle.

By eating locally, one leaves a smaller carbon footprint on the environment. Simply put, when food doesn't travel as far to reach the dinner table, fewer fuel emissions are released by transport vehicles, as the food travels a much shorter distance. Buying locally also supports small business in the face of sprawling capitalism. It is taking a stand for the little guy, which I can never pass up! This took on a much deeper meaning for me, once I began going to the farmer's market each week, back to the same families each time. Farming is the livelihood of many families who I interact with weekly, that I know on a first name basis and who I consider to be my friends. It is wonderful to know that with my every purchase, I am helping these kind people, as opposed to a faceless corporation, make a living. Their smiling familiar faces are what fuel my passion. Another plus is that these awesome families are able to keep a higher margin of their own, hard earned profit, by cutting out the middle man that is the grocery store. Keeping this profit within the locality also helps stimulate our own, American economy, instead of allowing other international companies to profit from us.

As we move into the future, my passion for the locavorism will only grow, as the reasons behind it will only grow more dire. If more people would commit to being a locavore, we could slow the degradation of our only, irreplaceable natural resources in addition to the diminishing the greenhouse effect. Earth's delicate environment is in our hands, and we desperately need to take care. We, as a community can do so, all while supporting our neighbors make a living and stimulating the American economy.

Have I missed the boat on this one? Any feedback's appreciated. Thanks! be critical!
Doom 13 / 37 2  
I like the idea of locavores. its something fresh and by reading your essay i learnt something.

However, it seems to be missing real passion. it seems like youre teaching me about locavores when you should be telling me about yourself. How has this concept changed you, affected you, made you who you are? what have you done in response? did you start up a Locavore society in your school?

I honestly think you should have a second attempt, maybe with a different idea. write about something you are really passionate about.

Best of luck in your applications!
DDDDISSSSSCO 5 / 21  
Hi Appstudent,

To start off, you are a great writer. Your writing is clear and concise. Also you do answer the prompt.

However, I want to comment on these aspects
1. You use "I" too much. Sentences such as "I am..." repeated does not look so pretty on this essay. Try to rephrase those sentences and use "I' when it is really really needed.

2. Locavorism does sound interesting and i belive that you will be the very first one to write about it. However, I just feel that it is "sake of application." But, it is only my opinion so do not tkae it into big consideration.

Is this a private or public university?
If public, do not worry so much on the personal statements. Publics mainly care about scores rather than essays.

Hope this helped

Home / Undergraduate / 'Eating locally' - UC #2: Accomplishment, contribution (Locavorism)