"ecstasy with smells" - Lafayette Supplement: describe a creative interest

nc08dkia 4 / 23  
This is a lafayette supplement that want us to describe an intellectual or creative interest or accomplishment. i wrote it about my passion for scents and fragrances.

this is the first draft, So i am very open to any critiques, be as harsh as you will, but also constructive.

There hasn't been a day that I haven't been frustrated or angry about body odor, not to mention bad breath. They are the foulest smells, extracts of what you have eaten, drunken, smoked and all the unwanted compounds that your body exhales from your skin. All of them warmly welcome bacteria to worsen them. At times I feel quite disgusted of myself and others. On the other side, once I sense that a female is wearing perfume, has applied fragranced hair conditioner or has a fruity breath, I cannot be distracted from their presence. Even with good smelling men, I feel unoriginally attracted to them. One of my hobbies is to try to follow distant people by their trail of perfume.

My olfactory sense has been my sharpest sense. I can pick up the smallest trail of scent and match it with my good memory of smells. I can almost detect some people by their body odors. At times, no matter how focused I might be, a scent can still take me to another dimension. Although foul scents irritate me, I appreciate all smells I sense. I believe scents can reveal a lot about a person or a thing and can also be very helpful; I smell the food I cook to know which spices to add and how much.

I enjoy smelling. I have a big collection of incense sticks, scented candles, fragranced oils, perfumes and deodorants. Not only do I use them, I mostly enjoy playing with and combining them. I have picked out different combinations of perfumes and deodorants for different days and moods. My roommates appreciate a cozy atmosphere with candles and different scents; Amber, Sandalwood, Eucalyptus, Lavender, saffron, and so much more. My favorite scent is the scent of rain in the Norwegian nature. I experienced an ecstasy (sadly only once) while walking along a road on a rainy day; I had simply lost my mind.

My dream is to learn the rare art of perfumery; the education is hard to find and my family will not be very glad to hear it. Despite the difficult path ahead of me, I see myself as a skilled perfumer.

yea i got stuck on the last part. any suggestions?

Please Please comment. I will not hesitate to comment on your essays, jsut leave me a link. Thanks!
paranormale 4 / 32  
I love your essay simply because I'm just as passionate about smells. You, are now officially awesome to me. ;]

"They are the foulest smells, an extract of what you have eaten,drunken , smoked and all the unwanted compounds that your body exhales from your skin. All of it warmly welcoming bacteria to worsen them."

The part after "skin" is my suggesting you don't have to use it. But you should make the last part a separate sentence.

"Although foul scents irritate me, I appreciate all smells I hear."I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I'm pretty sure you can't hear smells. So if it's intentional make it intentional or change it to "smell" :]

The end is a unfinished and unrefined and that's ok. However the statement about abhorring the study of cosmetics and fashion should be left out.

Hope I helped! If you have time, please take a look at my essay too! Good luck. :D

Home / Undergraduate / "ecstasy with smells" - Lafayette Supplement: describe a creative interest