'Ecuadorian citizen' - University of washington : cultural experience response

JoseVerdezoto 1 / -  
I have just one week to send it , could you help with grammar revision and some feedback?

Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity you have had or observed. What did you learn from it?

As an Ecuadorian citizen, my country is a territory not only with an extensive flora and fauna diversity, but also with lots of cultural models due to an enormous ethnic richness. Nevertheless, living in an urban environment full of mestizo people was depriving me to witness this cultural wealth. My mind revolved around aspects such as science or politics, but I had never had demonstrated some kind of interest or pride about my national identity, chiefly my roots. As a mestizo person, the idea of having Indian blood inside of me seemed unpleasant, due to that represented a sign of "impurity". According to my view, indigenous kept being the same passive and weak civilization subjected by the Spanish conquerors hundreds of years ago; people destined live in places forgotten by white-mestizo society. But, after a magical journey my perspective was reshaped to let me discover a completely new world.

It was a Saturday, when my mother decided to take me to a lake located in an ecological park. Once we arrived to the reserve entrance, we got off the car and looked for someone who could guide our way. In five minutes, my mother found a young standing next to a tourist sign, who had offered to help us. Since I first saw him, I could note he was indigenous because of his factions, and particular clothes that included a cloth hat in which protruded a long hair to his waist. Although my school had thought me that the native Indian language was quichwa; the fact that he also was a completely fluent Spanish speaker surprised me.

After a long hike, my senses felt amazed when I could contemplate the majesty of that natural creation. Suddenly, my eyes noticed what seemed a small village surrounded of crops on the lakeside. Our young guide commented "that is my home: Cuicocha". My curiosity boosted my foot, which started to move directly to that site. While I was going through the dirt road, I could see many indigenous with imposing braids plowing the fields. At the same time, the image of women weaving tapestries which clamored their history, and showed their traditions let me speechless. Unlike the mestizo society, they did not needed technology or industrialization to survive. This people were able to live in a perfect communion and harmony with the nature elements. The young guide also explained me that Indigenous referred soil as "pachamama" that means mother earth because it was source of life. Although there were many differences with my life style, I was feeling quite identified as if part of me belonged to that place.

That day, Hats, ponchos, and color tapestries let me understand that Indian culture was so much more than a forbidden culture ; they were source of rich ancestral knowledge and ancient traditions that had resisted a hundreds of years. I was indigenous.
hvnguyen1311 4 / 8  
I like the way you express your ideas. It 's natural and attractive. However you should reflect your personal view or affect in this essay. The adcoms will know exactly what you want to transform.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Ecuadorian citizen' - University of washington : cultural experience response