My educational goal is PhD of engineer - Waterloo's Computer Engineer Admission Information Form

Masonvo 1 / 1  
Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo( 900 character limit):

My educational goal is PhD of engineer. It sounds like not an easy road ahead, but I always wanted to challenge myself on education, created something new as a revolution, hence none of any career can fulfills my ambition except engineer. As a result, it proved that I haven't found the boundary of my study ability by ending the average of six university courses as 92%. This mark is a proof and a motivation for me to unstoppable pursues my PhD of engineer goal.

[...]
Thien, without meaning to insult you, must ask if you already have a college degree in Engineering? The reason I ask is because your highly simplified admissions information essay is quite below the standards of a PhD level application. In fact, the prompt sounds more like it is meant to provide a college level based essay, not a PhD application essay which would have asked for masters level information relating to your current work experience. Kindly clarify that point. Your essay as it stands now does not provide any information that is acceptable for a PhD application. Perhaps you mean to say that you are hoping to get a PhD certificate in the future? After you complete college? Please advise. The essay in its current form cannot be properly edited until we know if this is for a college of PhD level application for sure. Thanks.
OP Masonvo 1 / 1  
Thanks for reply, Vangiespen. I'm applying for undergraduate degree as Computer Engineer. My future goal is PhD of engineer. Thanks for your time, have a nice day.
Thien, since you are applying for undergraduate studies, you should not mention your future goal as an Engineering PhD yet. Your main goal right now is to graduate with a degree in Computer Engineering in order to become an engineer. Your essay should contain a discussion towards creating the basis for your interest in computer engineering. This will include any prior amateur experience with computer development such as upgrading your own hardware system to create a more efficient machine. Putting together your own computer from scratch for a specific purpose, having internships in the relevant field or even attending short term courses that would present a solid idea of your foundation in the area. Describe what your end goal is upon graduation. Your end goal is not to become a PhD as that requires a totally different set of educational requirements. Present your end goal / objective as graduating with a degree in computer engineering and with that degree, you hope to create a super computer of some sorts for the betterment of mankind in the future. A PhD ambition in this field is not relevant at this point. You are still building your foundation towards getting a PhD in the future. Your immediate goal is to finish college and work in the field.

After having spoken about those important aspects, you now have to discuss why you chose to apply to Waterloo. Some of the points for discussion at that point include:

1. The school computer program reputation
2. The computer program curriculum
3. The internships and hands on training the school offers
4. The student community

Write down your full response to the essay in complete form. Don't worry about the word count. I will help you edit it down to 900 words or less after we have edited the content.
Pereirar23 3 / 4 2  
@masonvo My recommendation would to dig deep a little as to why computer engineering. Ask yourself why. Why Computer Engineering over say Civic or mechanic. You essay should around 600. Aim for that! If your having trouble writing the essay, I would recommend looking at others for inspiration and examples.
Pereira is right. You need to dig deeper and try to reflect the development of your interest in computer studies. You need to go back to the time that you first saw a computer. What did you feel at that moment? How did you react to seeing it function? After you got over the initial phase of using a computer, what else did you do in relation to computers that helped to fuel your passion? Did you dabble in software design? Web page development? Perhaps you hacked a few simple systems? You need to give the admissions officers a vivid description of what it was like for you growing up being influenced by computers. That way you decision to pursue this major becomes self - explanatory.

Home / Undergraduate / My educational goal is PhD of engineer - Waterloo's Computer Engineer Admission Information Form